Polish president dies in plane crash

In summary: The Polish government is going to be heavily unsettled, if not decapitated. Best wishes for stability and peace.In summary, many high-ranking Polish officials were killed in a plane crash. The general feeling seems to be one of sadness and shock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QE9EPZdw5s

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
With all due respect - no. No idea about whom you may be thinking, but none of the priests aboard was widely known. I think I have heard about two of them earlier. For sure they were not random people, but some of them were well known only in their circles. Please remember that important part of the delegation were people representing so called Katyń families - and while the group is well known here, individual members are not necesarilly recognizable.

Ahhh.. I apologize, I'm going only by media reports. As for respect, don't worry, I'm not religious, but I was under the impression that modern Poland is very devoutly Catholic. So, I made assumptions, with predictable results. I do know about the massacre, and the modern delegation... it's surreal that this happened.

EDIT: I've been thinking about what to compare this to in the USA... and the only thing I can imagine would be a delegation of surviving WWII veterans, all dying in a crash. There is a loss of historical contuinity here, that is just too sudden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4C0q2FBURY

what a terrible thing to happen---what a sad day for Poland

[PLAIN]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3217/cialoprezydentawrocilo4.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2386/cialoprezydentawrocilo4n.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9581/cialoprezydentawrocilo4z.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6672/z7759124x.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/372/cialoprezydentawrocilo4pn.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4523/cialoprezydentawrocilo4j.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh lord... At least the Polish people are incredibly strong and resiliant. Still, this is something no country or family should endure.

I am from Poland, and it was very sad for me hearing that our president and many important officials died in crash... 70 years after soviets killed twenty thousands of our high officers. This place will be a double historical symbol for us. When I heard I couldn't believe this... it will be a huge lost for our minds, and for country - they were our most elite representatives... rest in peace [*]

Russian main TV stations showed movie "Katyń" by Wajda today in prime time. In few hours they did more to tell Russian people about the massacre than in the last 70 years.

Borek said:
Russian main TV stations showed movie "Katyń" by Wajda today in prime time. In few hours they did more to tell Russian people about the massacre than in the last 70 years.

That is a bitter irony, but perhaps it might comfort the relatives of the Katyn delegation. At this point, any source of solace has to be worth it, within reason for Poland and for those most immidiately effected.

The victims:

President of the Republic of Poland - Lech Kaczynski and his wife - Maria Kaczynska
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4928/pap201001211092.jpg

Maciej Płażyński, Senator, Deputy Speaker of Senate
plazynski550.jpg

KRZYSZTOF PUTRA, DEPUTY SPEAKER OF THE LOWER HOUSE - Law and Justice MP
wp_zel_krzysztof_putra_portret_550.jpg

JERZY SZMAJDINSKI, DEPUTY SPEAKER OF THE LOWER HOUSE - Demorcatic Left Alliance MP
pap_20100330_0TU2.jpg

RYSZARD KACZOROWSKI, FORMER PRESIDENT-IN-EXILE
pap_20091202_15M.jpg

Andrzej Przewoznik - President of the Council for the Protection of Struggle and Martyrdom Sites
przewoznik550.jpg

Krupski Janusz, Head of the Office for Veterans and Victims Affairs
pap_20090119_0BA.jpg

Stasiak Władysław, Head – Office of the President
pap_20091126_13A.jpg

Kurtyka Janusz, Chairman National Remembrance Institute
pap_20100107_0R5.jpg

Kochanowski Janusz, Civil Rights Ombundsman
kochanowski550.jpg

Skrzypek Slawomir - Head of the National Bank of Poland
skrzypek_550.jpg

Merta Tomasz, Under-secretary of State Ministry of Culture and National Heritage
merta550.jpg

Komorowski Stanisław Jerzy, Undersecretary of State Ministry of Defence
pap_20091016_0KT.jpg

Kremer Andrzej, Undersecretary of State Ministry of Foreign Affairs
pap_20090601_08m.jpg

Bochenek Krystyna, Deputy Speaker of the Lower House of Parliament
pap_20091122_0UG.jpg

General Buk Tadeusz, Commander in Chief of the Polish Army
pap_20100305_19T.jpg

General Blasik Andrzej, Commander in Chief of the Air Force
pap_20091209_0SG.jpg

General Gągor Franciszek, Chief of Staff of the Polish Army
pap_20091118_1JI.jpg

General Gilarski Kazimierz, Commander of the Warsaw Garrison
pap_20061204_0BJ.jpg

General Potasiński Włodzimierz, Commander in Chief of the Polish Special Forces
pap_20070810_06A.jpg

General Kwiatkowski Bronisław, Operational Commander Polish Army
pap_20090812_0AL.jpg

Rear Admiral Karweta Andrzej, Commander in Chief of the Polish Navy
pap_20080109_0CD.jpg

Handzlik Mariusz, Undersecretary of State Office of the President
pap_20090715_0AN.jpg

Wypych Paweł, Secretary of State Office of the President
pap_20090331_0ID.jpg

Szczygło Aleksander, Head National Security Office
szczyglo_550.jpg

Rumianek Ryszard, Rector Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University
pap_20070426_0GM.jpg

Agacka-Indecka Joanna, Chair of the Polish Bar Council
pap_20071124_05H.jpg

Fetlińska Janina, Senator - (PiS) Law And Justice
pap_20051020_0pl.jpg

Zając Stanisław, Senator - (PiS) Law and Justice
pap_20080623_0CM.jpg

Wojtas Edward, MP (PSL) Polish Peoples Party
pap_20091204_17V.jpg

Woda Wiesław, MP (PSL) Polish Peoples Party
wieslaw_woda550.jpg

Karpiniuk Sebastian, MP (PO) Civic Platform
karpiniuk550.jpg

Rybicki Arkadiusz, MP (PO) Civic Platform
ryb550.jpg

Deptula Leszek, MP (PSL) Polish Peoples Party
leszek_deptula.jpg

Natalli-Świat Aleksandra, MP (PiS) Law and Justice
pap_20091122_0YP.jpg

Jaruga-Nowacka Izabela, MP (SLD) Democratic Left Alliance
mandziak_wp_izabela_jaruga_nowacka_.jpg

Dolniak Grzegorz, MP (PO) Civic Platform
grzegorzdolniak550.jpg

Gosiewski Przemysław, MP (PiS) Law and Justice
gosiewski550.jpg

Szymanek-Deresz Jolanta, MP (SLD) Democratic Left Alliance
szymanek_deresz550.jpg

Wasserman Zbigniew, MP (PiS) Law and Justice
mandziak_wp_zbigniew_wasserman_wp55.jpg

Gęsicka Grażyna, MP (PIS) Law and Justice
pap_20100224_1U7.jpg

Nurowski Piotr, Head of the Polish Olympic Comitee (PKOL)
piotrnurowski550.jpg

Osiński Jan, Field Chaplain Polish Army
osinski_jan_mazimierz_pplk_czb.jpg

Chodakowski Miron, Russian Orthodox Chaplain of the Polish Army
pap_20090907_0CK.jpg

Płoski Tadeusz, Field Chaplain Polish Army
bpploski550.jpg

You're a good person MotoH.

EDIT: Oh lord, some of those people's knowledge and talent can't be replaced anytime soon, if at all. I can honestly say I'm glad that my grandmother is not alive to see this.

Thank you for the pictures, Motoh. I'm astounded by the loss of all these people, and I'm so sorry Borek, for you and for Poland.

People here in Chicago put up Polish flags on their cars, and lighted lots of candles. There is just so much support everywhere, and not just from the Polish people, but from Americans which project so much genuine sympathy to the loss.

I don't know that there has been a decaptitating strike in history as devestating as this tragic accient! I mean... the heads of ALL branches of the service?! Maybe Vlad Tepes came close, but that was sysematic slaughter (not to mention his inauguration).

My condolences to everyone concerned.

I am not going to translate large parts of the Polish internet, but hyenas already started their concert, to build on the incident. This is sick.

Condolences to all our Polish PF'ers.

Borek said:
I am not going to translate large parts of the Polish internet, but hyenas already started their concert, to build on the incident. This is sick.

Do you mean morbid photos, already placing blame, or politcal junk? Hell, all three are going on in the US media... :grumpy: ...and all three are so very human. I'm sorry though, it must be upsetting, and tiring; then again, it beats being one of the jackals. I am sorry though... maybe some Russian script-kiddies could make a gesture of good will by DDOS'ing their connections into low Earth orbit.

I've been very surprised at the national news here in the states because international news like this usually doesn't last long. They still were showing stories about it last night. I also saw on the news that President Obama will be attending the state funeral this weekend.

Borg said:
I've been very surprised at the national news here in the states because international news like this usually doesn't last long. They still were showing stories about it last night. I also saw on the news that President Obama will be attending the state funeral this weekend.

Yes, it's impressive that they haven't switched back to tiger woods. *groan*. It's always good to see our country holding its attention span long enough to appreciate the magnitude of this, not just as a loss of life, but skill and leadership. Ah well...

My condolences to the families and friends of the people involved.

The hyenas are impressive if for no other reason than the magnitude of their absolute crassness. I'm sorry that some people have to be jerks the world over, Borek.

I'm wondering who suggested to bury the president at Wawel right next to the Polish kings? Or is it just a common practice to bury all leaders there?

No, it is not a common practice and there is a lot of fuss about it. With all due respect plenty of people here thinks he was not as good a president to be buried in this place. Many other, honorable places (like Alley of Merit at Warsaw Powązki cemetery), which will not raise an eyebrow.

At the moment everyone asked about whose idea it was points finger to others.

waht said:
I'm wondering who suggested to bury the president at Wawel right next to the Polish kings?
Somebody who slightly misjudged public feeling ?

Same thing happened in the UK when Princess Di died.
The royal family got it for sticking to 'correct' protocol and apparently under-reacting when everyone in public was busy over-reacting.
Then the politicians got it for trying to muscle in on the event for the media screentime.

Or is it just a common practice to bury all leaders there?
Apparently not http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8620415.stm

Borek said:
No, it is not a common practice and there is a lot of fuss about it. With all due respect plenty of people here thinks he was not as good a president to be buried in this place. Many other, honorable places (like Alley of Merit at Warsaw Powązki cemetery), which will not raise an eyebrow.

At the moment everyone asked about whose idea it was points finger to others.

That was my feeling about him he wasn't popular. But can the growth of Polish economy during the world recession be linked to him?
mgb_phys said:
Somebody who slightly misjudged public feeling ?

Yes, big time.

But Mr Wajda said the decision "will spark protests and could cause the deepest splits in Polish society since 1989".

Same thing happened in the UK when Princess Di died.
The royal family got it for sticking to 'correct' protocol and apparently under-reacting when everyone in public was busy over-reacting.
Then the politicians got it for trying to muscle in on the event for the media screentime.

There was an element of publicity.

waht said:
That was my feeling about him he wasn't popular. But can the growth of Polish economy during the world recession be linked to him?

No. And it has nothing to do with his actions or lack of these, in Poland presidential prerogatives are rather limited, it is prime minister and government who has the executive power and tools.

President can vote bills and - in a way - that's his most important tool. President can also propose new bills, but they have to pass through both Parliament and Senate, where they can be modified. President also appoints ministers and ambassadors, but he doesn't select them, they are proposed by prime minister. That's not all, but IMHO that is enough to help you understand the legal situation.

Borek said:
No. And it has nothing to do with his actions or lack of these, in Poland presidential prerogatives are rather limited, it is prime minister and government who has the executive power and tools.

President can vote bills and - in a way - that's his most important tool. President can also propose new bills, but they have to pass through both Parliament and Senate, where they can be modified. President also appoints ministers and ambassadors, but he doesn't select them, they are proposed by prime minister. That's not all, but IMHO that is enough to help you understand the legal situation.

Yes, that makes sense.

He was very good politician, he was my President, we choosed him to be our President and I liked him very much. It is very good idea to bury him on Wawel because he was one of the best. I can't understand anyone who says he shouldn't be buried here - if I lived in Krakow, I would join contrmanifestation.

Obama's trip to Poland is officially off, due to volcanic ash. He was to have left DC tonight, but volcanic activity increased early this morning, and shows no signs of abating anytime soon.

Looks like Obama, and other presidents canceled their visit to Kaczynski's funeral because the whole of Europe is paralyzed from the volcano's ash clouds.

player1_1_1 said:
He was very good politician, he was my President, we choosed him to be our President and I liked him very much. It is very good idea to bury him on Wawel because he was one of the best. I can't understand anyone who says he shouldn't be buried here - if I lived in Krakow, I would join contrmanifestation.

He was elected to be the President, nobody denies it. But democracy is about having different points of view, so don't be surprised that not everyone share yours. All polls I have seen on the internet show that majority is against the idea.

At the moment looks like the decision to bury Lech Kaczyński on Wawel has made itself. Everyone asked by journalists tells that he didn't made the decision, someone else did. For me this is kind of a signal. As they say - success has many fathers, while failure is an orphan.

In Warsaw:
ordery-lecha-kaczynskiego-prezydent.jpg

corka-lecha-kaczynskiego-marta-brat.jpg

trumny-na-lawetach-armat-przed-pala.jpg

wyprowadzenie-trumien-pary-prezyden.jpg

trumna-lecha-kaczynskiego-na-laweci.jpg

konduktu_550.jpg

0000RPOXE93QFWD1-C303.jpg

I think Poland has shown itself to be remarkably strong and especially put on a good showing of its moral character in this last week. Today especially, was tough to see, but good too in a way.

@MotoH: Good choices for the pics. You have a very keen sense of what is appropriate, and when. It's sad to see, but thanks for posting them. I'd rather see things this way than with some news anchor chattering over a somber affair.

majority was always against him. It was very iritating that so much people was laughing always when he did a little mistake. there were so many attacks in press and in tv, even in Deutschland where they called them "potato"! people can not stop criticising him even after his death. but he will always be my President - no one else!