Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Polish president dies in plane crash

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Very sad news. :frown: Our hearts go out to your countrymen, Borek.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100410/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_plane_crash" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Would you believe it - I have learned about his death from PF :shock:

4. Apr 10, 2010 #3

Borek

List of casualties is incredible - many high officials. Really, next months in Poland will be difficult.

5. Apr 10, 2010 #4
    I some times wonder of things like this if I'm the only person who isn't fazed by it, or the only person who admits it.

Most of the time when people react shocked to these kind of things, they seem to have forgotten it in fifteen minutes, I'm willing to admit that it doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Probably financially cumbersome for Poland and all though, the date was also kind of ironic I guess...

6. Apr 10, 2010 #5
    A very grim day for the country and people of Poland. It is a incredible, horrible accident, with so many people effected.

Know that many people are thinking of your countrymen, and share the sadness.

7. Apr 10, 2010 #6
    That's very sad news indeed. I hope Poland recovers quickly.

By the way, the setting, landing in fog, is one of the more accident prone situations. Well don't worry, flying is still very safe, but if it goes wrong occasionally, it's more often during a landing in fog.

8. Apr 10, 2010 #7
    Rip.
    In today's crashed of Tu-154 their lifes has lost:
    Gen. Franciszek GĄGOR - - Chief of General Staff of Polish Army
    2008.08.15._Gen_Franciszek_Gagor_Fot_Mariusz_Kubik_01.jpg
    Operational commander of of Polish Army Gen. broni Bronisław KWIATKOWSKI
    [PLAIN]http://www.bbn.gov.pl/dokumenty/zalaczniki/1-1785_g.jpg [Broken]

Commander of Air Force Gen. broni pil. Andrzej BŁASIK
    [URL]http://pliki.lotniczapolska.pl/jpg/foto%207-01.jpg[/URL]

Commander of Land Forces Gen. dyw. Tadeusz BUK
    354627,362110,9.jpg

Commander of Special Forces Gen. dyw. Włodzimierz POTASIŃSKI
    [PLAIN]http://www.wojskaspecjalne.mil.pl/modules/page/upload/graphic/images/genPotasinskiyaka.jpg [Broken]

Commander of Navy Wiceadmirał Andrzej KARWETA
    i-i08-01-023karw.jpg

Commander of garrison Warsaw Gen. bryg. Kazimierz GILARSKI
    [URL]http://www.mieczyslawgolba.pl/newsfoto/dg_2009_04_17_12_37_39/p1060868.jpg[/URL]
    Many of them had combat experience. It will be hard goal for Polish Army to replace those man.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Apr 10, 2010 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

My condolences to all Polish on this sad ay.

10. Apr 10, 2010 #9
    Very sad.
    Transience of human life... It's something to think about.
    Do the most important for us right now, cause in a while there could not be the time...

11. Apr 10, 2010 #10
    Thank you for your post MotoH.
    Much sadness now.
    Perhaps comfort in the days to come. Not now.

12. Apr 10, 2010 #11

Borek

MotoH post may suggest only military personnel was lost, but that's not the case. Plenty of civillian officials (ministers, senators, parlament members, president of NBP - national bank) on board as well.

13. Apr 10, 2010 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I also find tragic the deaths of the as yet unnamed relatives of the Polish officers killed in the Katyn massacre who were in that plane, and for whom the intended visit had a deeper personal significance than it had for the professional Polish elite.

They came to commemorate their dead, and bring closure to a 70-year old wound; now, they only met their own deaths instead.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  14. Apr 10, 2010 #13
    Borek, we know. this is such a loss. any loss of life is sad, but this is tragic of course for your country. we are seeing it on TV here. we are looking for our neighbor an older man who has no one here. his english is hard to understand but we think he will understand a hug.

sorry again for your loss.

15. Apr 10, 2010 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Sad. So many eggs in that one "basket". The Polish government is going to be heavily unsettled, if not decapitated. Best wishes for stability and peace.

16. Apr 10, 2010 #15
    Absolutely. I seem to remember that we have official rules for not combining too many top leaders in a single means of transportation. But do we adhere to them?

17. Apr 10, 2010 #16

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

BBC news report suggests that conditions were so foggy that flight was supposed to have been diverted to another airport but pilots chose to try to land there anyway (presumably in order not to disrupt the scheduled arrangements for such important people).

18. Apr 10, 2010 #17

Borek

It is Katyń. Don't worry too much about ń, replacing it will n is OK.

Actually seems to me like it is going to be easier than I thought at first. In Poland President is not that important - government is headed by Prime Minister and he has most of the executive authority. Ministers that died were from presidents team - so while technically they are called ministers they are not directly involved in running the country. Government as such is intact.

Many valuable people perished, that is sad. There are several positions that have to be filled, but most of them are of low importance for running the country. It is process of filling the vacancies that I am afraid of, as it will mean political fights and it never helps.

And while we have lost highest ranking officers of the army, army structure and rules make it hard to decapitate.

Edit: I am far from saying that nothing serious happened, but I can easily imagine much worse scenario.

19. Apr 10, 2010 #18

russ_watters

Unfortuntately, that's not an uncommon cause for crashes of planes with high level people in them. People should listen to their pilots/ATC and follow the rules. They are there for a reason.

20. Apr 10, 2010 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, this is terrible and shocking :frown:. My condolences to Borek and Marzena, and all our Polish members.

21. Apr 10, 2010 #20
    This is very sad news. My condolences go out to the whole Polish nation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook