Polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the Hamiltonian of a polyatomic quantum oscillator. The initial request is for a detailed explanation of the process, specifically regarding the use of normal coordinates or normal modes. However, the only material available is for a diatomic quantum oscillator. The response provides a generalization of the Hamiltonian for a multi-particle system, but it is not separable. The conversation then shifts to discussing how to transform the equation into a separable Hamiltonian, which requires specific conditions such as equal masses and force constants. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to refer to a textbook for the full derivation.
GOLDandBRONZE
Hi!
Would anyone be able to point me toward a detailed explanation of determining the Hamiltonian of a polyatomic quantum oscillator? My current text does not explain the change of coordinates ("using normal coordinates or normal modes") in detail.
All I can find is material on a diatomic quantum oscillator...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well a one-dimensional Harmonic oscillator has the Hamiltonian:
[tex]H = \frac{1}{2m}\nabla^2 + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2 [/tex]

Generalizing this depends on how many 'springs' you want. If every particle is connected to every other particle with a harmonic potential:
[tex]H = \sum_{i=0}^N\frac{1}{2m}\nabla_i^2 +\sum_{i=0}^N\sum_{j>i}^N \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2(x_i - x_j)^2 [/tex]

Where N is the number of particles and x denotes their coordinates.

Thanks for your reply. That certainly makes sense, but from what I understand it is possible to make that equation separable, through a change of coordinates or something. The form you wrote will have cross-multiplied terms. How would you go about showing that it can be transformed into a separable Hamiltonian?

Thanks again

Yes, IIRC, it's separable in some relatively specific (but useful) circumstances, when you have the same masses and force constants all around, and when the system is all symmetrical.

It requires some clever changes of variables and such. You should probably be able to find the full derivation in any good textbook that handles phonons and lattice vibrations, but I don't remember it offhand. Someone else here might, though.

1. What is a polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator?

A polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of molecules. It assumes that the atoms in a molecule are connected by springs and vibrate harmonically around their equilibrium positions.

2. How does a polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator differ from a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator refers to a one-dimensional system where a single particle is oscillating back and forth. A polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator, on the other hand, describes a more complex system where multiple particles are oscillating in multiple dimensions, taking into account the interactions between them.

3. What is the significance of the potential energy surface in a polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator?

The potential energy surface in a polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator represents the energy levels and potential energy of the molecule as a function of its atomic positions. It is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of molecules and their vibrations.

4. How is the polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator model used in real-world applications?

The polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator model is used in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It helps in understanding the properties of molecules and their behavior, which is important in developing new materials and drugs.

5. What are some limitations of the polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator model?

One limitation of the polyatomic quantum harmonic oscillator model is that it assumes that the atoms in a molecule are connected by springs, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account the anharmonic effects that can occur in real molecules. Additionally, it is a simplified model and cannot fully describe the complex behavior of molecules in all situations.