What is the stacking sequence for the 6H-SiC polymorph of SiC?

• Thread starter Richie9384
  • Start date
In summary, polymorphs are different crystalline structures of the same compound, such as the two polymorphs of SiC, 3C and 6H. The stacking sequence of atoms in the lattice determines the structure of the polymorph, with the 6H polymorph having a hexagonal structure with an ABCABC pattern. It is important to ensure the correct structure for simulations, with 12 atoms in the unit cell arranged in the ABCABC pattern for 6H-SiC.
Richie9384
I'm having difficulty understanding polymorphs and stacking. I'm doing simulations on 6H-SiC but I think I may have the wrong structure..

I don't understand the stacking sequence, the picture I attached shows the stacking sequence for 6H-SiC, but I can't make any sense out of it. The arrangement of the A's do not look similar, although B and C seem consistent in terms of the arrangement of atoms.

Basically I've just tried to assemble the unit cell by arranging the atoms in the way shown, the unit cell I used as 12 atoms, I attached a similar picture from the web of the unit cell.

Attachments

• polymorphs.JPG
    polymorphs.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 428
  • unitcell.gif
    unitcell.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
Polymorphs are different crystalline structures of the same compound. In the case of SiC, there are two polymorphs, 3C and 6H. The way they are organized in the lattice is determined by their stacking sequence. The 6H polymorph has a hexagonal structure, in which the atoms are arranged in layers of three adjacent atoms. These layers are stacked together in an ABCABC pattern. This means that the first layer of atoms will be A, then B, followed by C, and so on.In terms of your simulation work, it is important to ensure that you have the correct structure of the material before running any simulations. This means that you will need to check the stacking sequence for the material you are simulating and make sure that it is correct. As for the unit cell, the structure of 6H-SiC should have 12 atoms per unit cell, arranged in the ABCABC pattern. I hope this helps!

1. What are polymorphs of SiC?

Polymorphs of SiC refer to the different crystal structures that silicon carbide can form. These structures differ in their arrangement of atoms and result in different physical and chemical properties.

2. How many polymorphs of SiC are there?

There are more than 200 known polymorphs of SiC. The most commonly studied polymorphs are cubic (3C), hexagonal (4H and 6H), and rhombohedral (15R).

3. What is the significance of the stacking sequence in polymorphs of SiC?

The stacking sequence of atoms in polymorphs of SiC determines their crystal symmetry and affects their electronic and mechanical properties. For example, 3C-SiC has a cubic symmetry and is used in electronic devices, while 6H-SiC has a hexagonal symmetry and is used in high-temperature applications.

4. How do the stacking sequences differ in polymorphs of SiC?

The stacking sequences in polymorphs of SiC differ in the arrangement of hexagonal and cubic layers. In 3C-SiC, the stacking sequence is ABCABC, while in 6H-SiC it is ABACAC. The differences in stacking sequences also result in variations in the band gap and thermal conductivity of each polymorph.

5. Can polymorphs of SiC be interconverted?

Yes, polymorphs of SiC can be interconverted through high-temperature annealing and chemical vapor deposition methods. These methods allow for the controlled formation of different polymorphs, making it possible to tailor SiC for specific applications.