Building 6H-SiC, does this look right?

• Thread starter Richie9384
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
It consists of 12 atoms arranged in a hexagonal closed packed structure. The unit cell is extended to a 5X5X1 (ABC) structure in order to test the (0001) and (000-1) surfaces. The user is unsure if they have assembled the unit cell correctly and is struggling with understanding solid state jargon and concepts.
Richie9384
I'm having some difficulty understanding how to assemble a particular polytype of SiC and I think I may have made a mistake...my solid state knowledge is limited.

Basically I start with a hexagonal unit cell for SiC (Moisssanite; four atoms), I attached an image of this unit...I then extended it to build what I think is the unit cell of 6H-SiC (12 atoms)...then I extended the unit cell 5X5X1 (ABC) 6H-SiC so I can run tests on the (0001) and (000-1) surfaces.

Moissanite.png

Moissanite Hexagonal SiC

6H-SiC_Hexagonal.png

6H-SiC Unit Cell

Rotated_View_6H_SiC.png

Rotated View of the 5X5X1 Structure

yz.png

Another view in the yz-plane

Physics news on Phys.org
isn't 6H-SiC just hexagonal closed packed? It has been a long time since I looked at the polytypes of SiC

Dr Transport said:
isn't 6H-SiC just hexagonal closed packed? It has been a long time since I looked at the polytypes of SiC

Yes, I'm just trying to verify if I'm assembling this correctly. I'm having a hard time understanding some of the solid state jargon and concepts about crystals and lattices.

zig-ziag chain structure hexagonal SiC.gif

The 6H-SiC unit cell is shown in this diagram.

Related to Building 6H-SiC, does this look right?

1. What is 6H-SiC and why is it used in building?

6H-SiC is a type of silicon carbide crystal structure that is commonly used in building materials due to its exceptional mechanical and thermal properties. It has a high melting point, excellent chemical resistance, and is known for its high strength and durability.

2. How is 6H-SiC produced for building applications?

6H-SiC is typically produced through a process called chemical vapor deposition (CVD), where a gas containing silicon and carbon is heated and allowed to react on a substrate at high temperatures. This results in the growth of 6H-SiC crystals on the substrate, which can then be used for building purposes.

3. What are the advantages of using 6H-SiC in building construction?

6H-SiC offers several advantages in building construction, such as high strength and durability, excellent thermal and chemical resistance, and low thermal expansion. It is also lightweight, making it easier to handle and transport.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges in using 6H-SiC for building?

One of the main limitations of using 6H-SiC in building is its high cost compared to other building materials. Additionally, its production process can be complex and requires specialized equipment. It also has a lower fracture toughness compared to other materials, which can make it more susceptible to cracking under certain conditions.

5. How can I determine if my 6H-SiC building material is of good quality?

To ensure the quality of 6H-SiC building materials, it is important to check for uniformity in crystal size and orientation, as well as for any defects or impurities. These can be determined through various testing methods, such as X-ray diffraction and microscopy. Consulting with a professional in the field can also help determine the quality of the material.