Proving Polynomial Expression: 1^k+2^k+...+n^k as a Degree-k+1 Polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the expression 1^k+2^k+...+n^k can be written as a polynomial in n of degree at most k+1. The question is debated, with potential counterexamples and solutions being proposed. Ultimately, it is concluded that while there may not be a single polynomial expression that holds for all values of n, there exists a polynomial expression of degree k+1 that can be used to represent the original expression for every n.
Icebreaker
"Prove that

[tex]1^k+2^k+...+n^k[/tex]

can be written as a polynomial in [tex]n[/tex] of degree at most [tex]k+1[/tex]."

Isn't this kinda trivial? I mean I know the "book" solution is to prove by induction, etc, but assuming that I have the above expression, I can prove or disprove it, depending on how I interpret the question.

If it means that it can be written in the above conditions AND NOTHING ELSE, I can easily produce a counterexample:

[tex]1+2+3 = 3^3 - 7\times3[/tex]

If it means that it can be written in the above conditions, but does not prohibit the existence of other solutions, then it's trivial, because the above expression can be written as

[tex]an^{k+1}[/tex] for some real number [tex]a[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Icebreaker said:
If it means that it can be written in the above conditions AND NOTHING ELSE, I can easily produce a counterexample:

[tex]1+2+3 = 3^3 - 7\times3[/tex]

It doesn't mean "and nothing else", it's already written in a form that you wouldn't call a polynomial.

Icebreaker said:
If it means that it can be written in the above conditions, but does not prohibit the existence of other solutions, then it's trivial, because the above expression can be written as

[tex]an^{k+1}[/tex] for some real number [tex]a[/tex]

No choice of a here will hold for all n. Your polynomial is supposed to equal that expression for all values of n.

True, no choice of a will hold for every n, but there exists one for every n.

Icebreaker said:
True, no choice of a will hold for every n, but there exists one for every n.

It's not a polynomial if the coefficients aren't constant. Your a will depend on n in some unspecified way, and you haven't solved the problem.

No easy way out then. Damn.

What is a polynomial expression?

A polynomial expression is an algebraic expression that contains only variables, constants, and the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can also include exponents, but the exponent must be a positive integer.

What does it mean for a polynomial expression to have a degree of k+1?

The degree of a polynomial expression refers to the highest exponent in the expression. So, a polynomial expression with a degree of k+1 means that the highest exponent in the expression is k+1. This also determines the number of terms in the expression.

How do you prove that 1^k+2^k+...+n^k is a degree-k+1 polynomial?

To prove that 1^k+2^k+...+n^k is a degree-k+1 polynomial, we can use mathematical induction. This involves proving that the expression is true for a base case (usually n=1) and then showing that if it is true for n, it is also true for n+1. This will demonstrate that the expression is true for all positive integers, proving that it is a polynomial.

What is the significance of proving a polynomial expression?

Proving a polynomial expression is important because it allows us to determine the behavior and properties of the expression. We can use this information to solve equations, find roots, and make predictions about the behavior of the expression.

Are there any common mistakes when proving polynomial expressions?

Yes, some common mistakes when proving polynomial expressions include not considering all possible values of n, not properly applying the induction step, and not using the correct form of the expression (such as forgetting to include the n term in the expression). It is important to carefully follow the steps of mathematical induction and to double check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.