Polynomial sequence uniformly convergent on annulus

In summary: Therefore, the radius of convergence for their Taylor series centered at a = 0 is only up to the singularity at the origin. In summary, the problem is asking for a polynomial sequence that converges to 1/z and sin(1/z^2) uniformly on an annulus between 1 and 2. The Laurent series for both functions will converge uniformly on the annulus, but it is not possible to find a Taylor series that converges on the entire annulus due to the singularity at the origin.
QuantumLuck

Homework Statement

Can we find a sequence, say p_j(z) such that p_j ---> 1/z uniformly for z is an element of an annulus between 1 and 2, that is 1 < abs(z) < 2?

Then i am asked to do the same thing but for p_j ---> sin(1/z^2).

Homework Equations

Not too sure about this, maybe Taylor series/Laurent series expansions.

The Attempt at a Solution

So while I have no definite path yet set on proving this what I do have are a few thoughts. On this annulus 1/z is analytic because the point z = 0 is not contained. Also, we can write a Taylor/Laurent series expansion for 1/z.

However, I do not believe that we are able to do the same thing for the sin sequence because we end up with a larger numerator term which blows up and cause the series to diverge. However, against z = 0 is not contained here so maybe that is false? Am I thinking about this correctly or am I a fool?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Laurent-series will converge uniformly in both cases, because [tex]\{z,1\le|z|\le 2\}[/tex] is compact. It will not be possible to find a taylor series that converges on the entire annulus, because the radius of convergence can only extend to the origin, where there is a singularity.

so as long as the function you are tying to converge to is defined over the entire annulus any sequence which approaches that function (the Laurent series of that function) will converge uniformly? and this is relevant to my question because i am seeking a polynomial sequence which is just the Laurent series right?

also: in an unrelated question; what do you mean the radius of converge can extend only to the origin?

QuantumLuck said:
so as long as the function you are tying to converge to is defined over the entire annulus any sequence which approaches that function (the Laurent series of that function) will converge uniformly?

This is certainly true for the Laurent series, but not for all series I think.

and this is relevant to my question because i am seeking a polynomial sequence which is just the Laurent series right?

The terms of the Laurent series are polynomials in z, z^-1, so they are not "polynomials" in the usual sense, but rational functions.
If you are looking for a series of polynomials (only in z), then the only candidate is the Taylor series, which can't converge on the entire annulus, see below.

also: in an unrelated question; what do you mean the radius of converge can extend only to the origin?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_of_convergence#Radii_of_convergence_in_complex_analysis":
The radius of convergence of a power series f centered on a point a is equal to the distance from a to the nearest point where f cannot be defined in a way that makes it holomorphic.

Where "the nearest point where f cannot be defined in a way that makes it holomorphic" is basically the nearest singularity. Both 1/z and sin(1/z^2) have one singularity at the origin.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a polynomial sequence?

A polynomial sequence is a sequence of polynomials, where each term is obtained from the previous one by multiplying it with a fixed polynomial.

2. What does it mean for a polynomial sequence to be uniformly convergent?

A polynomial sequence is said to be uniformly convergent if the sequence of its partial sums converges uniformly on a given domain. This means that the difference between the partial sum and the limit of the sequence becomes arbitrarily small as the index of the sequence increases.

3. What is an annulus?

An annulus is a region in the plane that is bounded by two concentric circles.

4. How does a polynomial sequence uniformly converge on an annulus?

A polynomial sequence uniformly converges on an annulus if the sequence of its partial sums converges uniformly on the annulus. This means that the error between the partial sum and the limit of the sequence becomes arbitrarily small as the index of the sequence increases within the annulus.

5. Why is it important for a polynomial sequence to uniformly converge on an annulus?

Uniform convergence on an annulus is important because it allows us to approximate a function within the annulus with a polynomial sequence. This is useful in many applications, such as numerical analysis and approximation theory, where polynomial sequences are commonly used to approximate functions.