Pontential energy in a 4-particle system

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the potential energy in a system consisting of four particles with equal mass, arranged in a square with sides of length d. The conversation mentions using Newton's law of gravity and integrating the gravitational field as a function of d. However, the final calculation for the potential energy is incorrect and further help is requested to find the correct solution.
Oldblood

Homework Statement

Find the potential energy in a system being 4 particles, each with mass M forming a square with sides d.

Homework Equations

Newtons law of gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

First I was trying to find the gravitatinal field as a function of d. I soon realized that this is a field in 1 dimension, along the diagonal of the square. 1 particle will feel a force from the 3 others and the force will be parallel to the diogonal of the square. From the furthest particle a particle will feel the force GM^2/(sqrt 2 *d)^2. From the sum of the 2 others it will feel (sqrt 2 *GM^2)/d^2 in the same direction. So we have that g (d)= GM^2/(sqrt 2 *d)^2+(sqrt 2 *GM^2)/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant. Then I simply just integrated this with respect to d to find the potential energy . I am guessing this gives me the potential energy for each particle, so to find the total energy I multiplied by 4. This did gave me total potential energy= - GM^2*(2+4sqrt 2)/d which is wrong. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I appreciate any help. The goal is to calculate the potential energy in a 4 particle system making up a square

anyone?

What is potential energy in a 4-particle system?

Potential energy in a 4-particle system refers to the energy stored within the system due to the interactions between the particles. It is a measure of the potential for the particles to undergo changes in their positions and orientations.

What factors affect the potential energy in a 4-particle system?

The potential energy in a 4-particle system is affected by the distance between the particles, the type of interactions between them (such as electrostatic or gravitational), and the masses and charges of the particles.

How is potential energy calculated in a 4-particle system?

The potential energy in a 4-particle system can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the distances and interactions between the particles, as well as their masses and charges. These calculations can be done using classical mechanics or quantum mechanics, depending on the scale and complexity of the system.

What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy in a 4-particle system?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are interrelated in a 4-particle system. As the particles move and interact, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa. The total energy of the system, including both potential and kinetic energy, remains constant.

How does potential energy impact the behavior of a 4-particle system?

Potential energy plays a crucial role in determining the stability and behavior of a 4-particle system. Changes in potential energy can result in the particles moving towards or away from each other, and can also affect the overall motion and interactions within the system. The potential energy can also determine whether the system is in a stable or unstable state.