How Can I Improve My Integration Techniques?

• Thread starter pswongaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: The answers are in the back of the book. The problems are just integration and you can do them over and over again until you are as good as your friend.
pswongaa
My integration skill is very poor, there a many integral that I can't solve, for example:
$$\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\sin^{2n+1} x}{x} dx$$
$$\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\cos ax-\cos bx}{x} dx$$
but my friend could solve them very quickly, so may I wonder if there are any books about technique for proper and improper riemann integral? Also what is the best way to master integration?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pswongaa said:
My integration skill is very poor, there a many integral that I can't solve, for example:
$$\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\sin^{2n+1} x}{x} dx $$
$$\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\cos ax-\cos bx}{x} dx $$
but my friend could solve them very quickly, so may I wonder if there are any books about technique for proper and improper riemann integral? Also what is the best way to master integration?

Something is wrong with your post, the integrals aren't rendering correctly.

Mod note: They're fixed now. They were missing the LaTeX tags and were also malformed. I made corrections, but I'm not 100% certain of what the OP intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
jedishrfu said:
Something is wrong with your post, the integrals aren't rendering correctly.

the integrals themselves are not important, I just want to find a way to improve my integration skill

Unfortunately the only way to get good (ie. fast and accurate) at integrals is by doing integrals - a lot of them.

By going through the procedure repeatedly you will build a collection of tricks that you will learn how to use and when to apply them.

You should open up any calc book and start doing every integral. When you get stuck ask others or look for solutions or
Hints.

Some integrals can be solved (they have indefinite integrals which are composed of elementary functions) and there are many more which cannot be solved, although the definite integrals can be shown to be equal to a certain value.

It just so happens that the two examples you chose do not have indefinite integrals which are composed of elementary functions.

pswongaa said:
Also what is the best way to master integration?

Integrate! As much as possible.

There's this book that has thousands of exercises in Analysis 1.

Related to How Can I Improve My Integration Techniques?

1. What is poor integration technique?

Poor integration technique refers to the improper or inefficient use of methods or processes to combine different elements or systems together. It can lead to errors, inconsistencies, and inefficiencies in the overall integrated system or product.

2. What are the consequences of poor integration technique?

Poor integration technique can result in a number of negative consequences, including system failures, data loss, security vulnerabilities, and decreased efficiency. It can also lead to increased costs, delays, and customer dissatisfaction.

3. What are some common causes of poor integration technique?

Some common causes of poor integration technique include lack of planning and communication, inadequate resources or expertise, incompatible systems or components, and rushed timelines.

4. How can poor integration technique be avoided?

Poor integration technique can be avoided by thoroughly planning and testing the integration process, ensuring compatibility between systems and components, allocating adequate resources and time, and involving all stakeholders in the decision-making process.

5. How can the effects of poor integration technique be mitigated?

The effects of poor integration technique can be mitigated by regularly monitoring and evaluating the integrated system, identifying and addressing any issues or errors, and continuously improving the integration process based on feedback and lessons learned.