1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pop. Books on Evolution and Genetics

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1
    Probably on the list of top 5 interesting (science) topics, of which I know next to nothing. Okay, natural selection, survival of the fittest and all that, but I'd like to have a better understanding, at least at the level of a layman.

My last biology class was in school, about 7 years ago, and we were learning about diseases and stuff. :uhh: I bought a couple of books a year or so ago on a whim: Watson's DNA and Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale. I found the latter's synopsis quite interesting, but after reading it for a while, I realised that I'd understand it better if I read a primer on Evolution first.

So I'm looking for recommendations. I hear that The Selfish Gene is a "controversial" book. For a first read, I'd prefer a book that presents less of the author's own views/hypotheses, and more of what is already known and tested. Same goes for Genetics, too.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2
    If you just want to learn the basics and roots of evolution, you can always pop on over to your local bookstore and pick up Darwin's Origin of Species.

Just be warned, it is quite dull for a good majority of the book.

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Another Dawkins book, The Blind Watchmaker, I've heard, is a gentler introduction and very readable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?