Design a Portable Water Warmer for College Project

• Thread starter screamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: Thermistor" In summary, the individual is seeking guidance for a college project involving a portable water warmer. They plan to use a warming strap from a MotherCare bottle warmer, a 555 timer, and a battery as a power source. They also intend to use a manual push switch to turn off the supply. They are looking for schematics and guidance on how to implement this idea. It is noted that using a thermistor and a PID controller may be a better solution.
screamer
I have to make a portable water warmer for a college project. I have a warming strap that I have taken out from a MotherCare bottle warmer which use car ignition as a power source. It has a rating of 2A 12V. So I my idea is to use a battery to supply the strip and to use a 555 timer to make it on for a certain time and off for a certain time. So that I can prevent the warmer from getting too hot and also preventing it from cooling down too much. Also preserving the battery for longer. I intend to use a manual push switch to completely off the supply. So I would like to know if this is possible? Also some guidance and some schematics i can refer. I am fairly new to this and I have just 2 months to complete it. Hope to get some help. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
screamer said:
I have to make a portable water warmer for a college project. I have a warming strap that I have taken out from a MotherCare bottle warmer which use car ignition as a power source. It has a rating of 2A 12V. So I my idea is to use a battery to supply the strip and to use a 555 timer to make it on for a certain time and off for a certain time. So that I can prevent the warmer from getting too hot and also preventing it from cooling down too much. Also preserving the battery for longer. I intend to use a manual push switch to completely off the supply. So I would like to know if this is possible? Also some guidance and some schematics i can refer. I am fairly new to this and I have just 2 months to complete it. Hope to get some help. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the PF.

We do not do your project work for you (see the Rules link at the top of the page). Your idea seems fine, and you should look on the Internet for example 555 schematics and tutorials. Try googling 555 tutorial to get you started.

And for your 12V battery, you can either use a small version of a car battery, or you can series connect some D-size batteries to add up to about 12V.

EDIT -- BTW, you won't be able to drive that kind of current with the 555 directly. You will want to use a transistor to do that. Look for information on the "common emitter" configuration of NPN transistor.

Also - the better solution will use a thermistor and provide basic closed loop control. - And agreed - you will want something to "drive" the output power based on the signal from the 555.

Food for thought:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Design a Portable Water Warmer for College Project

1. What is the purpose of a portable water warmer for a college project?

A portable water warmer for a college project is designed to provide students with a convenient and efficient way to heat up water for various purposes, such as making hot beverages, instant noodles, and other food items. It is especially useful for students who do not have access to a stove or microwave in their dorm rooms.

2. How does a portable water warmer work?

A portable water warmer typically uses electric heating coils to heat up water. The coils are submerged in the water and are powered by a battery or electrical outlet. Some models may also use a heating element or thermoelectric technology to warm the water.

3. Can a portable water warmer be used for other liquids besides water?

Yes, a portable water warmer can be used for other liquids such as tea, coffee, soup, and hot chocolate. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not heat up liquids that are not suitable for the device, as it could cause damage.

4. Is a portable water warmer safe to use?

When used properly, a portable water warmer is generally safe to use. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not leave the device unattended while in use. It is also important to keep the device away from water and other flammable materials.

5. How can a portable water warmer be beneficial for college students?

A portable water warmer can be beneficial for college students in many ways. It provides a convenient and efficient way to heat up water for various purposes, saving time and effort. It is also a cost-effective option compared to constantly buying hot beverages from coffee shops. Additionally, it can help students stay hydrated and warm during the cold winter months.