What is the velocity and acceleration of a particle at t = 15.0 s?

In summary, the position of the particle at time 15.0 s is -0.98 m/s2 and the acceleration at time 15.0 s is -0.49 m/s2.
Zhalfirin88
New to PF, so here it goes. Oh just a question, did this site use to have a dark skin? I can't remember if that was this or something else.

Homework Statement

The position of a particle as a function of time (in s) is given by C1 + C2t + C3t2. Let C1 = 11.0 m, C2 = 9.5 m/s and C3 = -0.49 m/s2. What is the velocity of the particle at time t = 15.0 s? And what is the particle's acceleration at time t = 15.0 s?

Homework Equations

Velocity is the derivative of position.(How do you make it look all nice?)
Acceleration is the 2nd derivative of position.

The Attempt at a Solution

Where do I start? I don't even understand the equation that's given. Judging from the question (it's online) it looks like those t are variables and not subscripts.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zhalfirin88 said:
New to PF, so here it goes. Oh just a question, did this site use to have a dark skin? I can't remember if that was this or something else.

Homework Statement

The position of a particle as a function of time (in s) is given by C1 + C2t + C3t2. Let C1 = 11.0 m, C2 = 9.5 m/s and C3 = -0.49 m/s2. What is the velocity of the particle at time t = 15.0 s? And what is the particle's acceleration at time t = 15.0 s?

Homework Equations

Velocity is the derivative of position.(How do you make it look all nice?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Where do I start? I don't even understand the equation that's given. Judging from the question (it's online) it looks like those t are variables and not subscripts.

Welcome to the PF. The skins have changed several times, so it's possible that a previous skin was dark.

The "t" in the equation is time, so you would just plug in the time to get the position as a funtion of time. You are correct about the velocity being the derivative of the position, and then the acceleration is the derivative of the velocity. Using LaTex, it looks like this:

[tex]x(t) = C_1 + C_2 t + C_3 t^2[/tex]

[tex]v(t) = \frac{dx(t)}{dt} = \frac{d(C_1 + C_2 t + C_3 t^2)}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]a(t) = \frac{dv(t)}{dt}[/tex]

So just do the differentiations, and plug in the respective times to get the answers.

Just to check my derivatives since I haven't done them in months, I'm assuming that the C's aren't constants, right?

I don't know the syntax for LaTeX so, the derivative of postion would be:

C2 + 2C3t

2nd derivative would be:

2C3

Correct. To see how the LaTex is formed, you can just QUOTE my post, to see the tags that are embedded in it. Also, there is a stickie thread with a LaTex tutorial at the top of the Learning Materials forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

I don't understand why it's saying my answer for the acceleration is wrong. My velocity answer was correct though.

2C3 = 2(-0.49) = -0.98 m/s2

Thanks for the sticky, I'll check it out when I finish my homework :P

Ah never mind, forgot to type in the negative sign -.-

1. What is the position function of time?

The position function of time is a mathematical representation of an object's position in space as it changes over time. It is expressed as a function of time and can be used to determine an object's location at any given time.

2. How is the position function of time calculated?

The position function of time is calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity function with respect to time. This function can also be derived from the acceleration function by taking the integral with respect to time.

3. What is the difference between position function and position vector?

The position function is a mathematical representation of an object's position in space as a function of time. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude. On the other hand, a position vector is a vector quantity that represents an object's position in space with both magnitude and direction.

4. How is the position function of time used in physics?

The position function of time is used in physics to describe the motion of objects in space. It is an important tool for understanding and predicting the movement of objects, and it is used in a variety of fields such as mechanics, kinematics, and dynamics.

5. Can the position function of time be used to calculate distance traveled?

Yes, the position function of time can be used to calculate distance traveled. This can be done by finding the area under the curve of the position function between two time intervals. The result will be the distance traveled by the object during that time period.