1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position Function of Time

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    New to PF, so here it goes. Oh just a question, did this site use to have a dark skin? I can't remember if that was this or something else.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The position of a particle as a function of time (in s) is given by C1 + C2t + C3t2. Let C1 = 11.0 m, C2 = 9.5 m/s and C3 = -0.49 m/s2. What is the velocity of the particle at time t = 15.0 s? And what is the particle's acceleration at time t = 15.0 s?

2. Relevant equations
    Velocity is the derivative of position.(How do you make it look all nice?)
    Acceleration is the 2nd derivative of position.

3. The attempt at a solution

Where do I start? I don't even understand the equation that's given. Judging from the question (it's online) it looks like those t are variables and not subscripts.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. The skins have changed several times, so it's possible that a previous skin was dark.

The "t" in the equation is time, so you would just plug in the time to get the position as a funtion of time. You are correct about the velocity being the derivative of the position, and then the acceleration is the derivative of the velocity. Using LaTex, it looks like this:

[tex]x(t) = C_1 + C_2 t + C_3 t^2[/tex]

[tex]v(t) = \frac{dx(t)}{dt} = \frac{d(C_1 + C_2 t + C_3 t^2)}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]a(t) = \frac{dv(t)}{dt}[/tex]

So just do the differentiations, and plug in the respective times to get the answers.

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    Just to check my derivatives since I haven't done them in months, I'm assuming that the C's aren't constants, right?

I don't know the syntax for LaTeX so, the derivative of postion would be:

C2 + 2C3t

2nd derivative would be:

2C3

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Correct. To see how the LaTex is formed, you can just QUOTE my post, to see the tags that are embedded in it. Also, there is a stickie thread with a LaTex tutorial at the top of the Learning Materials forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

6. Sep 3, 2009 #5
    I don't understand why it's saying my answer for the acceleration is wrong. My velocity answer was correct though.

2C3 = 2(-0.49) = -0.98 m/s2

Thanks for the sticky, I'll check it out when I finish my homework :P

Ah never mind, forgot to type in the negative sign -.-

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook