Position of stellar bodies in space.

In summary, the sun, moon, Earth, and other planets lie in roughly the same plane known as the ecliptic, which is the plane in which the Earth orbits the Sun. While there may be slight variations in the angles of their orbits, they are all relatively close to being in the same plane. This is significant considering the large distances between these celestial bodies.
PrincePhoenix
Gold Member
Do the sun, moon, Earth etc lie in the same plane? I mean are they at the same level or some bodies are above/below others? If yes than why?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
So at times one is above the other (with respect to the ecliptic), depending on the position they have in their orbits at that time? And I can't picture the ecliptic in my mind when I think of the actual movement of the earth, which is the Earth moving around the sun? :confused:

Hi PrincePhoenix! :wink:

I'm not sure what your question is.

The ecliptic is the plane in which the Earth orbits the Sun.

So it's also the plane in which we see the Sun.

The other planets spend about half their time on one side of the ecliptic, and about half on the other side. :smile:

However, they are roughly in the same plane. As you can see from tiny-tim's link, Mercury's orbit is only about 7 degrees from ours and the other planets are much closer to being in the same plane.

tiny-tim said:
The ecliptic is the plane in which the Earth orbits the Sun.

The other planets spend about half their time on one side of the ecliptic, and about half on the other side. :smile:
That answers my questions. :smile:
Thank you.:approve:

HallsofIvy said:
However, they are roughly in the same plane. As you can see from tiny-tim's link, Mercury's orbit is only about 7 degrees from ours and the other planets are much closer to being in the same plane.

But at such large distances, it is still significant isn't it?

1. What determines the position of stellar bodies in space?

The position of stellar bodies in space is determined by their location relative to other objects in the universe, as well as their motion and velocity. The gravitational pull of nearby objects, such as planets and stars, also plays a significant role in determining their position.

2. How do scientists track the position of stellar bodies in space?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to track the position of stellar bodies in space. These include telescopes, satellites, and spacecrafts equipped with specialized instruments such as cameras, spectrometers, and radar. They also use mathematical models and computer simulations to predict the movement of stellar bodies.

3. Can the position of stellar bodies change over time?

Yes, the position of stellar bodies can change over time. This is due to their constant motion and interactions with other objects in the universe. Some stellar bodies, such as comets, have highly elliptical orbits that can bring them closer or further from the sun and other objects, causing their position to change over time.

4. How do scientists measure the distance between stellar bodies?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the distance between stellar bodies, including parallax, spectroscopy, and the use of standard candles such as Cepheid variables. Parallax involves measuring the apparent shift in position of a stellar body when viewed from different locations on Earth. Spectroscopy involves analyzing the light emitted by a stellar body to determine its distance. Standard candles are objects with known luminosity, which can be used to calculate their distance from Earth.

5. Why is the study of the position of stellar bodies important?

The study of the position of stellar bodies is important because it helps us understand the structure and evolution of the universe. By tracking the position of stellar bodies, scientists can gain insights into the formation of galaxies, the development of planets, and the origins of life. Studying the position of stellar bodies also allows us to predict and prepare for potential cosmic events, such as asteroid impacts and supernovas.