The Units of a Position Vector in a Hilly Landscape

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of units in a position vector, specifically in regards to a car traveling across a hilly landscape. The question states the position vector as 30 km/hti + 1 km cos (t/(0.1h))k and the conversation clarifies that the units are not km/h, but rather km/h*t. The conversation also touches on differentiating trigonometric functions and the importance of paying attention while studying.
amcqueen
My problem is not so much the mathematics of doing the question, but rather the units.

The question states: "A car travels across a hilly landscape with a position vector given in the x - z plane.

Position Vector = 30 km/hti + 1 km cos (t/(0.1h))k

How can the units for a position vector be given as km/h ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The units are not km/h, the units are that of km/h*t = Length/time * time = length.

ok, i see it now, thanks

I'm struggling with the maths side of this question. I've done some searching and came across an answer of v(t) = i30 - k10sin10t and I kind of understand this. I do not understand why the sin is negative though. Could anyone run through the differentiation of this?

Thanks!

Caldo120 said:
I do not understand why the sin is negative though. Could anyone run through the differentiation of this?
You're asking where the minus sign comes in when finding d(cosx)/dx? Have you studied calculus?

Try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiation_of_trigonometric_functions"

Last edited by a moderator:
oh dear. apologies. I was flicking through my table of "INTEGRALS" and wondering why it didn't make sense. Thoroughly embarrassed.

Thank you though for showing me I must pay more attention!

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a vector that represents the position of a point relative to an origin point. It is typically denoted by the symbol r and is expressed in terms of the coordinates of the point along each axis.

2. How is a position vector different from a displacement vector?

A position vector represents the location of a point in space, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of a point. In other words, a displacement vector shows the direction and magnitude of movement from one position to another, while a position vector simply shows the location of a point.

3. How do you find the magnitude of a position vector?

The magnitude of a position vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the coordinates along each axis. This can be expressed as |r| = √(x² + y² + z²).

4. Can a position vector be negative?

Yes, a position vector can have negative components. This indicates that the point is located in a direction opposite to the positive direction of the corresponding axis. For example, if the x component of a position vector is -5, this means the point is located 5 units to the left of the origin along the x axis.

5. How is a position vector used in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, position vectors are used to describe the location of objects in space and to calculate distances and displacements between points. They are also used in vector calculus to solve problems in mechanics, electromagnetics, and other fields.