1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positronium atom transition - energy of photon

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Positronium is an atom formed by an electron and a positron. It is similar to the
    hydrogen atom, with the positron replacing the proton. If a positronium atom
    makes a transition from the state n = 3 to a state with n = 1, the energy of the
    photon emitted in this transition is closest to

3. The attempt at a solution

what will my proton number Z be in this case?

E = -13.6eV x Z2 / n2

but a hydrogen atom's Z = 1, what about the positronium atom? 0?

state n=3 has -1.511 eV while state 1 has -13.6 eV.

but the answer is 6 eV? how is that obtained? i have no idea . thanks for help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: positron?

The positron and electron have about the same mass. The electron does not revolve around the positron, but both revolve around their common centre of mass. This two-body problem can be treated as the motion of a single body with the reduced mass: mp*me/(mp+me) which is half the mass of the electron. The Rydberg constant is proportional to the mass of the electron: Now it is halved.

ehild

4. Mar 3, 2010 #3
    Re: positron?

ah isee.. thank you very much ehild!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook