Positronium Decay: Find Momentum of Gamma Rays

• Thread starter Newtime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of momentum for each gamma ray in positronium decay and using the equations E=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4} and p=h\nu/v. Conservation of momentum is used to find the solution, which results in the equation m_0v=h\nu/c = |p_i| for each gamma ray, with the only discrepancy being v instead of c.
Newtime

Homework Statement

Consider positronium decay. Show the magnitude of the momentum for each gamma ray is [tex]m_0c[/tex] where [tex]m_0[/tex] is the mass of the electron.

Homework Equations

[tex] E=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}, p=h\nu/v [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start this one, though I suspect the solution is elementary. Should I use conservation of energy or momentum or both? Are the above equations relevant? I come from a mathematics background, not a physics background, so problems which require "energy considerations" still confuse me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a first attempt: we use conservation of momentum and find [tex] |p_{\text{before}}|=|p_{\text{after}}| \Rightarrow 2\gamma m_0v =2\gamma h\nu / c \Rightarrow m_0v=h\nu/c = |p_i| [/tex] for each gamma ray [tex]p_i[/tex] where the last inequality is from a previous exercise which asks us to show this for each photon. So I end up with *almost* the solution except I have v instead of c. Where did I go wrong?

Related to Positronium Decay: Find Momentum of Gamma Rays

What is Positronium Decay?

Positronium Decay is a phenomenon that occurs when a positron (anti-electron) and an electron combine to form a neutral atom-like particle called positronium. This particle is unstable and eventually decays into two gamma rays.

How is the momentum of gamma rays calculated in Positronium Decay?

The momentum of gamma rays is calculated using the equation p = hf/c, where p is the momentum, h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the gamma rays, and c is the speed of light. This equation is derived from the relation between energy and momentum in special relativity.

What factors affect the momentum of gamma rays in Positronium Decay?

The momentum of gamma rays in Positronium Decay can be affected by the mass and energy of the particles involved, as well as the angle at which the gamma rays are emitted. The momentum will also depend on the experimental setup and the precision of the measurements.

What is the significance of studying Positronium Decay and its gamma rays?

Positronium Decay and the resulting gamma rays are of interest to scientists because they provide insight into the fundamental forces and interactions of particles in the universe. They also have applications in medical imaging and materials science.

Are there any practical applications of Positronium Decay and its gamma rays?

Positronium Decay and its gamma rays have practical applications in medical imaging, specifically in Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans. They also have potential uses in materials science, such as studying the properties of polymers and surfaces.