Positronium Decay: Find Momentum of Gamma Rays

  • Thread starter Thread starter Newtime
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Decay
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Newtime
Messages
347
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider positronium decay. Show the magnitude of the momentum for each gamma ray is [tex]m_0c[/tex] where [tex]m_0[/tex] is the mass of the electron.

Homework Equations



[tex]E=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}, p=h\nu/v[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure how to start this one, though I suspect the solution is elementary. Should I use conservation of energy or momentum or both? Are the above equations relevant? I come from a mathematics background, not a physics background, so problems which require "energy considerations" still confuse me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a first attempt: we use conservation of momentum and find [tex]|p_{\text{before}}|=|p_{\text{after}}| \Rightarrow 2\gamma m_0v =2\gamma h\nu / c \Rightarrow m_0v=h\nu/c = |p_i|[/tex] for each gamma ray [tex]p_i[/tex] where the last inequality is from a previous exercise which asks us to show this for each photon. So I end up with *almost* the solution except I have v instead of c. Where did I go wrong?