Possible different paths for evolution

• Thread starter Czcibor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of alternative paths for evolution and the potential outcomes of these paths, both on Earth and on exoplanets. It also suggests reading "Wonderful Life" by Stephen Jay Gould, which explores the concept of alternative turns in evolution and the creatures that could have been the winners. Some examples given include the Precambrian flat life, the Cambrian explosion and the Permian mass-extinction. The conversation concludes by encouraging creative thinking about new solutions to basic evolutionary problems.
Czcibor
The question is not purely scientific but involves also huge amount of creative guess (which only shouldn't violate blatantly contemporary scientific knowledge). I think about something like "The future is wild" or some Dawkins' analyses of probability of evolution of different organs from "The Ancestors Tale".

Which different paths were possible for evolution to take and produce different outcomes? Which interesting (cute ;) ) multicellular organism were possible?

I think especially about possibilities for Earth life, though if anyone has idea that would be workable on exoplanet (like organism that is reasonable only in case of ex. tidally locked planet) also feel free. Only to narrow down ideas I suggest first assuming carbon chauvinism.

Animals, plants, whatever... (they don't even have to be eukaryotes)EDIT: Also partial ideas are welcome (not whole organism, but interesting mechanism that could be used)EDIT2: Example of partial idea: evolving from squids that 'fly' after using jet propulsion, for animals that can glide, to finally animals with ability of true flight.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you read "Wonderful Life" by Stephen Jay Gould, he's a masterful author (much better than Dawkins at least), and the book mainly deal with possibly alternative turns and the creatures that could have been the winners.

I'll give you a couple examples:

- Precambrian life - was mostly flat, it was another solution to a basic problem, they solved it by being flat with lots of surface area while we solved it by having depth but having internal organs with a surface area (I forget why that is the way it is, I tried looking it up online). If you are especially creative you could come up with a new solution.

- Cambrian life - the Cambrian explosion saw several hardbodied organisms arise, and while many species died soon, others managed to succeed. Opabinia, Anomalocaris, and Trilobites are all examples that eventually went extinct.

- Permian life - the greatest mass-extinction ever saw 95% of land species extinct. This could have gone differently, and we might still be dominated even more-so by invertebrates. If connected with continued high oxygen levels we could see bigger invertebrates.

1. What are the different paths for evolution?

The possible paths for evolution are determined by various factors such as environmental conditions, genetic variations, and natural selection. Some of the most common paths include divergent evolution, convergent evolution, and parallel evolution.

2. How does divergent evolution occur?

Divergent evolution occurs when a single species splits into two or more separate species due to different environmental pressures or adaptations. This can lead to the development of distinct physical characteristics and behaviors over time.

3. What is convergent evolution?

Convergent evolution is when unrelated species in different environments develop similar characteristics or traits due to similar selective pressures. This can occur when species face similar challenges in their environment and adapt in similar ways.

4. Is parallel evolution the same as convergent evolution?

No, parallel evolution is similar to convergent evolution in that unrelated species develop similar traits, but it differs in that parallel evolution occurs in the same environment. This means that the species share a common ancestor and have evolved separately but in a similar manner.

5. Can different paths for evolution occur simultaneously?

Yes, different paths for evolution can occur simultaneously within a species or among different species. This is because evolution is a continuous and ongoing process, and different populations can experience different selective pressures and adaptations at the same time.