Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible fusion power plants of the future

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1

hagar

Gold Member

Question about fusion power sources. An article I just read stated that they would be safe as if anything went wrong they would just stop working. Is this correct ? If so than why do stars continue to burn and seem (to me at least) to be self feeding.

Respectfully,
    Pat Hagar

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If the plasma reaches the first wall, it loses heat rapidly, i.e., it is quenched and the fusion process would cease. The plasma density is on the order of 1014 particles/cm3.
    Think of the size of stars compared to the Sun or our planet, and then think about the size of a power plant compared to the plant. Stars are orders of magnitude greater in size and mass compared to a power plant [understatement].

The plasma density, temperatures and pressures are much, much greater than we could ever achieve in a terrestrial tokamak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_core
    http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/interior.shtml
    https://fusedweb.llnl.gov/CPEP/Chart_Pages/5.Plasmas/SunLayers.html

The sun has been around for about 4.5 billion years, so it's remarkably stable. Occasional CMEs blow off a very small fraction of a percentage of solar mass.

Ref: https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1063

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  4. Nov 8, 2015 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This would be "safe" by comparison with nuclear fission plants.

5. Nov 8, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

The temperature in tokamaks (if they do fusion) is higher than in the core of sun, roughly a factor of 7.

We don't have gravitational pressure, if anything goes wrong and the plasma containment gets lost. fusion stops immediately. In the worst case, some parts of the reactor wall will melt. Bad for the reactor, but not dangerous for anyone.

6. Nov 8, 2015 #5

hagar

Gold Member

Fascinating, I had no idea of this.

Than size,density and gravity controlling pressure and temperature would be the limiting factors.
    Thanks to all for the responses and links.

Respectfully,
    Pat Hagar

7. Nov 8, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

There is no relevant gravity in the plasma on Earth. Pressure is maintained by the magnetic field.

8. Nov 8, 2015 #7

hagar

Gold Member

I thank you for the correction. My comment was not stated correctly. I meant the gravity of the sun maintains the pressure and temperature.

Respectfully,
    Pat Hagar

9. Nov 8, 2015 #8

Astronuc

Thanks for the correction. I had switched the numbers.

As mfb mentioned earth's gravity is relatively weak. The pressure is determined by the plasma density and temperature (P = nkT), and it is counter balanced by the magnetic field, which is limited by what field the superconducting magnets can provide. The temperature is determined by the energy balance in the plasma, with the goal that energy generated by fusion would greatly exceed the loses from the plasma.

10. Nov 8, 2015 #9

hagar

Gold Member

Thank you for the correction, it seems I did it again. I was referring to the suns fusion process and not to a local power plant.

Respectfully,
    Pat Hagar

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook