Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fusion Reactor Power Supply.

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1
    Hello, I'm 15 and very interested in physics. I'm building a safe nuclear fusion reactor as a science project. (I know how to safely handle high voltage and radiation) I have a question about the power supply. First off, I know that fusion takes around 40 Kilo-volts and it needs to have a negative polarity. I'm on a budget and cant spend hundreds of dollars on a high voltage negative polarity power supply. The only cheap power supplies I found find had no specification on polarity. So, I decided that if I could not find one, I might as well solder a circuit together to make my own, and I would like to know how or where a source is that could instruct me. I may use a battery or cap. bank if I create one. Also, if there are any power supplies under $75 at the most that are like this, please direct me where to get one. This is for science purposes, not to cause any kind of harm or anything like that. Lastly, I would like to know if there is just an IC that reverses polarity, and if I could just use that and a boost converter.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What sort of fusion are you creating?

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like your are asking about a fusor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor

I'm afraid that is a bit too dangerous of a topic for us to help you with. I'd advise talking to your science teachers at your high school, to see if one would be willing to mentor you on this project. Given proper mentorship, it can be done reasonably safely. Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook