In summary, the individual is a 15-year-old interested in physics and is building a safe nuclear fusion reactor for a science project. They have a question about the power supply and are looking for a high voltage negative polarity supply for under $75. If unable to find one, they plan to make their own using a battery or capacitor bank and are looking for instructions or resources on how to do so. They also ask if there is an IC that can reverse polarity and if it can be used with a boost converter. The conversation ends with the reminder to seek proper mentorship for this project as it can be dangerous.
FuturePhysicist
Hello, I'm 15 and very interested in physics. I'm building a safe nuclear fusion reactor as a science project. (I know how to safely handle high voltage and radiation) I have a question about the power supply. First off, I know that fusion takes around 40 Kilo-volts and it needs to have a negative polarity. I'm on a budget and can't spend hundreds of dollars on a high voltage negative polarity power supply. The only cheap power supplies I found find had no specification on polarity. So, I decided that if I could not find one, I might as well solder a circuit together to make my own, and I would like to know how or where a source is that could instruct me. I may use a battery or cap. bank if I create one. Also, if there are any power supplies under $75 at the most that are like this, please direct me where to get one. This is for science purposes, not to cause any kind of harm or anything like that. Lastly, I would like to know if there is just an IC that reverses polarity, and if I could just use that and a boost converter.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What sort of fusion are you creating?

FuturePhysicist said:
Hello, I'm 15 and very interested in physics. I'm building a safe nuclear fusion reactor as a science project. (I know how to safely handle high voltage and radiation) I have a question about the power supply. First off, I know that fusion takes around 40 Kilo-volts and it needs to have a negative polarity. I'm on a budget and can't spend hundreds of dollars on a high voltage negative polarity power supply. The only cheap power supplies I found find had no specification on polarity. So, I decided that if I could not find one, I might as well solder a circuit together to make my own, and I would like to know how or where a source is that could instruct me. I may use a battery or cap. bank if I create one. Also, if there are any power supplies under $75 at the most that are like this, please direct me where to get one. This is for science purposes, not to cause any kind of harm or anything like that. Lastly, I would like to know if there is just an IC that reverses polarity, and if I could just use that and a boost converter.

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like your are asking about a fusor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor

I'm afraid that is a bit too dangerous of a topic for us to help you with. I'd advise talking to your science teachers at your high school, to see if one would be willing to mentor you on this project. Given proper mentorship, it can be done reasonably safely. Thread is closed.

What is a fusion reactor power supply?

A fusion reactor power supply is a system that provides the necessary energy and power to sustain and control a fusion reaction, which is the process of combining two atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

How does a fusion reactor power supply work?

The power supply works by heating and compressing a fuel, such as hydrogen gas, to extremely high temperatures and pressures. This creates conditions where the nuclei can overcome their repulsive forces and fuse together, releasing large amounts of energy.

What are the main components of a fusion reactor power supply?

The main components of a fusion reactor power supply include a confinement system, such as a magnetic field or laser beams, to contain the hot plasma, a heating system to reach the necessary temperatures, and a fueling system to inject the fuel into the reactor.

What are the benefits of using a fusion reactor power supply?

Fusion reactors have the potential to generate vast amounts of clean and sustainable energy, with no emissions of greenhouse gases or radioactive waste. They also use abundant fuels, such as hydrogen, and do not produce the same risks of a nuclear meltdown as traditional fission reactors.

What are the challenges facing the development of fusion reactor power supplies?

One of the main challenges is achieving the necessary conditions for fusion to occur, including the extreme temperatures and pressures. Another challenge is finding materials that can withstand these conditions and developing efficient methods for extracting and using the energy produced. Additionally, the development and construction of fusion reactors is a complex and expensive process.