Possible manned mission to Mars?

• Thread starter BoxedCat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mars
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a manned mission to Mars and the necessary technology and methods to make it happen. There is also a mention of a .pdf file with more details and a request to continue the discussion on an existing thread in the Aerospace forum.

Should we go to Mars with people?

• Yes, send a manned mission to Mars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, send a better probe

• Do a manned "drive by" of Mars

• Neither it costs too much and make the debt bigger.

• Total voters
BoxedCat
So I hope you have all heard of the possible manned mission to the red planet or... MARS! I believe Nasa said something around the lines of hopefully having a manned mission to Mars around 2030 and before that the so called stepping stone by capturing an asteroid around 2020. Now my question is what do you guys think we would need to go to Mars? What type of rockets would be used? I personnaly would like to see them use a nuclear powered shuttle with a liquid propellent two stage main rocket to get them a quarter of the way there if not half. But I am not an engineering expert so I was hoping someone else could come up with some solutions.

This .pdf has some details but I'm sure if you really cared then you would know more by know.

http://ston.jsc.nasa.gov/collections/TRS/_techrep/SP-6107-ADD.pdf

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What are the potential risks and challenges of a manned mission to Mars?

One of the main risks of a manned mission to Mars is the long duration of the trip, which could range from 6-9 months depending on the alignment of Earth and Mars. This could lead to exposure to high levels of radiation and potential health risks for the astronauts. Additionally, the harsh environment of Mars, including extreme temperatures, radiation, and dust storms, presents a challenge for sustaining human life. Other challenges include the need for extensive resources and technology to support the mission, as well as the psychological effects of being isolated in a confined space for an extended period of time.

2. How will the astronauts survive on Mars?

The astronauts will need to rely on advanced technology and resources to survive on Mars. This includes a sustainable habitat, a reliable source of food and water, and protective equipment to shield them from the harsh environment. It is also important for the astronauts to undergo extensive training and preparation to ensure they have the skills and knowledge to handle any potential challenges that may arise.

3. What are the potential benefits of a manned mission to Mars?

A manned mission to Mars has the potential to greatly advance our understanding of the Red Planet and its potential for supporting human life. It could also lead to the development of new technologies and innovations that could benefit us here on Earth. Additionally, such a mission could inspire future generations and ignite a new era of space exploration and discovery.

4. How much will a manned mission to Mars cost?

The cost of a manned mission to Mars can vary greatly depending on the specific goals and parameters of the mission. However, estimates range from $20-60 billion for a single mission. This includes the cost of developing and testing new technologies, building and launching spacecraft, and supporting the astronauts during their journey and time on Mars.

5. When do scientists predict a manned mission to Mars will take place?

There is currently no definitive timeline for a manned mission to Mars, as it will depend on various factors such as funding, technological advancements, and international cooperation. However, some experts estimate that a manned mission to Mars could take place within the next 10-20 years. NASA's current goal is to send humans to Mars in the 2030s, while private companies like SpaceX have expressed their aim to do so sooner.