Possible to break a glass if you emit a loud sound?

In summary: For now, in summary, it is possible to break glass and possibly cause fatal effects on the human body by emitting a loud sound at its resonant frequency. However, the human skull does not have a resonant frequency and making someone mess their pants using sound waves is questionable.
Algren
Knowing that its possible to break a glass if you emit a loud sound at its resonant frequency.

If you do the same for Human skulls, there will not only be a sound sleep, but a sound death too. Is that possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I recall, some soldiers were found killed at the battle of Gettysburg and their bodies were unmarked. It was concluded the concussion from the shells used was sufficiently intense to have killed them. As for the complication of setting up a resonance with various body structures, it apparently is not necessary if all you want is fatal effects.

If you have a sound wave which is of a high enough amplitude, the pressure changes changes between the high and low pressure points on the wave would in effect almost hit you like a shockwave from a bomb blast and cause concussion damage.

Infact sound is used to destroy/break cells in labs. Not sure on the exact method but basically the cells are suspended in a solution and then a high frequency sound wave is passed through the solution which causes the cells to break up. Althought this wouldn't occur in air as air doesn't conduct sound as well as a liquid would.

Prehaps if you put the person into a large swimming pool and then played your very loud sound through underwater speakers then the sound waves would propagate well enough to cause damage. Although more likely they will shake even the best of the best of speakers to bits in seconds.

rollcast said:
If you have a sound wave which is of a high enough amplitude, the pressure changes changes between the high and low pressure points on the wave would in effect almost hit you like a shockwave from a bomb blast and cause concussion damage.

Infact sound is used to destroy/break cells in labs. Not sure on the exact method but basically the cells are suspended in a solution and then a high frequency sound wave is passed through the solution which causes the cells to break up. Althought this wouldn't occur in air as air doesn't conduct sound as well as a liquid would.

Prehaps if you put the person into a large swimming pool and then played your very loud sound through underwater speakers then the sound waves would propagate well enough to cause damage. Although more likely they will shake even the best of the best of speakers to bits in seconds.

Some farmers used to fish by throwing dynamite into a pond stunning/killing the fish to save on worms.

jedishrfu said:
relating to sound death there's another interesting quirk where historians and scientists have said battles were lost due to sound not being heard or interpretted wrongly:

http://scvcamp868.webstarts.com/uploads/Acoustician_Charles_D__Ross.pdf

and on sound refraction:

http://www.kettering.edu/physics/drussell/Demos/refract/refract.html

Well interesting, and concussion damage too.

Can there be even mis-interpretation of EM waves?

and, why can't we just fly a sound-absorbing plane with a large speaker over the enemy side and shake them to bits? Along with a nullifying wave so that those waves to not hit their own base?

Last edited by a moderator:
Algren said:
Knowing that its possible to break a glass if you emit a loud sound at its resonant frequency.

If you do the same for Human skulls, there will not only be a sound sleep, but a sound death too. Is that possible?

Your question seems to be specifically about resonant frequencies but the answers above have all been about concussive effects which is not the same thing. As far as I know, the human skull does not have a resonant frequency the way a glass goblet or a pane of glass does. Glass in complex configurations will not (necessarily) have a resonant frequency.

The human sphincter muscle, on the other hand, DOES have a resonant frequency, which is somewhere around 6Hz for most people. SO ... although you can't likely kill anyone by getting a resonant frequency will their skull, you COULD make them mess their pants.

phinds said:
The human sphincter muscle, on the other hand, DOES have a resonant frequency, which is somewhere around 6Hz for most people. SO ... although you can't likely kill anyone by getting a resonant frequency will their skull, you COULD make them mess their pants.

Lol, although you can check this:

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1073503

I don't know if its a joke or not.

phinds said:

I'm very skeptical of this...

Drakkith said:
I'm very skeptical of this...

I have no expertise on this, I just read about it many years ago where a physics prof did a demo in class and the bathroom became VERY crowded before the demo was over. I know this sounds a bit unlikely, I just remember that there was SOME reason, I no longer remember what, that made me take it seriously.

Well, let's save that topic for another day and the Skeptics forum lol.

Related to Possible to break a glass if you emit a loud sound?

1. Can a loud sound really break a glass?

Yes, it is possible for a glass to break if a loud sound is emitted near it. This phenomenon is known as acoustic resonance and occurs when the frequency of the sound matches the natural frequency of the glass, causing it to vibrate and eventually break.

2. How loud does the sound have to be to break a glass?

The sound does not necessarily have to be extremely loud in order to break a glass. It primarily depends on the frequency and duration of the sound. A high-pitched sound at the right frequency and duration can cause a glass to break, even if it is not very loud.

3. What types of glasses are most likely to break from a loud sound?

Glasses that are thin and have a smooth surface are more likely to break from a loud sound. This is because they have a higher natural frequency and are more susceptible to vibrations compared to thicker and rougher glasses.

4. Can any type of sound break a glass?

Not all sounds have the potential to break a glass. The sound must have a specific frequency and duration in order to cause the glass to vibrate and eventually break. For example, a low-pitched sound such as a bass drum is unlikely to break a glass due to its lower frequency.

5. Can other materials besides glass be broken by a loud sound?

Yes, other materials can also be broken by a loud sound if their natural frequency matches the frequency of the sound. This includes materials such as crystal, ceramics, and even some metals. However, not all materials have a natural frequency that can be easily matched by a sound, making glass the most commonly used material for this demonstration.