Possible Values of k for a Quadratic Inequality: 2x^2 + kx + 9 = 0

In summary, the possible values of k such that one root of the equation 2x^2 + kx + 9 = 0 is twice the other are +/- (9).
LiHJ

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors and Helpers,

Here's the question:
Find the possible values of k such that one root of the equation 2x^2 + kx + 9 = 0 is twice the other.

Homework Equations

My classmate's working:

Discriminate > 0
k^2 - (4)(2)(9) > 0
k^2 -72 > 0
[k + sqrt (72)] [k- sqrt(72)] > 0

Answer: k > sqrt (72) or k < - sqrt(72)

The Attempt at a Solution

My working:

Let p and 2p be the roots of the equation.

Sum of roots:
3p = (-k)/2
p = (-k)/6 -----(1)

Product of roots:
2p^2 = 9/2 ------(2)

Substitute (1) into (2):

2(-k/6)^2 = 9/2
(k^2)/36 = 9/4
k^2 = 81
k = +/- (9)
Answer: +/- (9)

Please help me to check whether my friends working is correct or mine is correct. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
LiHJ said:

Homework Statement

Here's the question:
Find the possible values of k such that one root of the equation 2x^2 + kx + 9 = 0 is twice the other.

Homework Equations

My classmate's working:

Discriminate > 0
k^2 - (4)(2)(9) > 0
k^2 -72 > 0
[k + sqrt (72)] [k- sqrt(72)] > 0

Answer: k > sqrt (72) or k < - sqrt(72)

The Attempt at a Solution

My working:

Let p and 2p be the roots of the equation.

Sum of roots:
3p = (-k)/2
p = (-k)/6 -----(1)

Product of roots:
2p^2 = 9/2 ------(2)

Substitute (1) into (2):

2(-k/6)^2 = 9/2
(k^2)/36 = 9/4
k^2 = 81
k = +/- (9)
Answer: +/- (9)

Please help me to check whether my friends working is correct or mine is correct. Thanks for your time.
I get the same thing you did. Your classmate's work is incomplete. All he did was to find intervals of k values for which the discriminant is positive.

You can take this problem one step further to verify that your work is correct, by finding the two roots of the quadratic. One of the roots should be twice the other. Note that there are two pairs of values that work.

Also, I approached this problem in a different way, since I don't have the sum of roots, product of roots formulas memorized.

I rewrote the equation as x2 + (k/2)x + 9/2 = 0. Then, since p and 2p are roots, it must be that (x - p)(x - 2p) = 0. Expand the second equation and then equate the coefficient of x and the constant term in the two equations. This will give you two equations in the unknowns k and p.

Thanks for the verification and further explanation of another method

1. What is the range of possible values for k?

The range of possible values for k in this quadratic inequality is infinite. This is because k can take on any real number value, as long as the quadratic equation has at least one real solution.

2. How does k affect the graph of the quadratic inequality?

The value of k affects the position and shape of the parabola on the graph. If k is positive, the parabola will open upwards, and if k is negative, the parabola will open downwards. The value of k also determines the steepness of the parabola's curve.

3. Can k be a fraction or a decimal?

Yes, k can be a fraction or a decimal. As long as it is a real number, it can be used in the quadratic inequality.

4. Are there any restrictions on the value of k?

The only restriction on the value of k is that it cannot be equal to zero. This is because if k is equal to zero, the quadratic inequality becomes a linear equation and will only have one solution.

5. How can I determine the value of k that will make the inequality have a specific number of solutions?

To determine the value of k that will make the inequality have a specific number of solutions, you can use the discriminant formula (b^2 - 4ac) and set it equal to the desired number of solutions. You can then solve for k using algebraic methods.