Post Editing Options: Explaining Intent

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of an option to explain the reason for editing posts after a new format was implemented. The individual is primarily concerned about correcting typos and would like this to be known. They inquire about the possibility of reinstating this function, but are informed that it is not currently available. The individual then shares their method of adding a brief mention in their post about the editing they have done. This is done to ensure that the changes are not missed. The conversation also touches on instances where the individual may make edits after someone else has responded to their post.
Danger
Gold Member
This is just a minor thorn in my side, not something that really needs to be changed. I couldn't help noticing that after the new format was instituted there no longer seems to be an option to explain the reason for editing my posts. The only reason that it irritates me a bit is that I do it primarily to correct typos as opposed to altering the content or intent of the original and I would like that to be known. (Sometimes there are content reasons, but it's usually just to add information or clarify an explanation rather than change the direction of the post.)
Is there some way to reinstate that function?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's okay. Fact is, if I'm doing it to change anything or add anything significant, I space down a couple of lines and type "edit:" before whatever I add. If I don't do that, it was a typo. (And yes, I do have a spell-checker, but it isn't context sensitive and so won't pick up if I put something like "it's" when I mean the possessive "its", or "reed" instead of "read".)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I would just briefly mention in your post the editing you've done.

StevieTNZ said:
I would just briefly mention in your post the editing you've done.
I prefer this method because I think it's less likely to be missed. i.e. more visible

Stevie and digoff, I agree with what you're saying except that it doesn't apply to any time that I've done it. It's only before someone else posts to my knowledge. If I finish an edit and then notice that someone else has responded, I make a new post explaining that I changed it.

1. What is the purpose of post-editing options?

The purpose of post-editing options is to provide a way for users to make changes to their content after it has been published or shared. This can include correcting errors, updating information, or refining the overall message.

2. What types of post-editing options are commonly available?

Common post-editing options include spell check, grammar check, word count, formatting tools, and the ability to insert images or other media. Some platforms also offer advanced options such as track changes and collaboration tools.

3. How do post-editing options affect the overall intent of the content?

Post-editing options can greatly impact the intent of the content by allowing for changes to be made that can alter the tone, message, or clarity of the original content. It is important to use these options carefully and thoughtfully to ensure that the intended message is conveyed accurately.

4. Can post-editing options be used to manipulate the meaning of the content?

Yes, post-editing options can be used to manipulate the meaning of the content, but this should be avoided. It is important to use these options ethically and with transparency to maintain the integrity of the content.

5. Are there any limitations to post-editing options?

Yes, there may be limitations to post-editing options depending on the platform or software being used. Some options may not be available, or there may be restrictions on the types of changes that can be made. It is important to familiarize yourself with the capabilities and limitations of the post-editing options before making any changes.