Posting Pictures on a Webpage: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter CAT 2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to post a picture from files on a computer. The options mentioned include using the upload button, copy-and-paste, and drag and drop. There are also restrictions on file types and sizes, with a maximum of 3MB. Some users may have to pay for data, so it is important to consider the size of the image being uploaded. There is also a discussion about the effectiveness of drag and drop and how it may vary depending on the device and app being used.
CAT 2
How do I post a picture from files I have on my computer? I don't know how to insert it. If anybody could help in this, it would be great! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you are editing your post, there are three buttons at the bottom of the window. "POST REPLY" "PREVIEW" and "UPLOAD" The upload button is the way to get your files into the post.

Likes YoungPhysicist and CAT 2
Thanks anorluda, this is exactly what I was looking for!

anorlunda said:
The upload button is the way to get your files into the post.
But there are filetype and size restrictions that are enforced...and I always have trouble finding where those restrictions are stated. The error message doesn't give a clue about what it will accept. (Hint, Hint @anorlunda)

Likes baldbrain
Tom.G said:
But there are filetype and size restrictions that are enforced...and I always have trouble finding where those restrictions are stated. The error message doesn't give a clue about what it will accept. (Hint, Hint @anorlunda)

Excellent point. ping @Greg Bernhardt

Tom.G said:

3mb size max

txt
pdf
png
jpg
jpeg
jpe
gif
docx
xlsx

That solves my probem, too.

Greg Bernhardt said:
3mb size max
But why is there a restriction at all(Does it like...cost more?)
There's even some restriction regarding the length:breadth pixel ratio right?

baldbrain said:
(Does it like...cost more?)
Some users in backwards places actually have to pay for data :)) or are on very slow Internet connections. 3MB is a huge image or document, anyway, for an illustration in a post.

Likes anorlunda
CAT 2 said:
How do I post a picture from files I have on my computer?
You can also just copy-and-paste any picture directly into the reply box. Like I just did with your avatar and a random picture of a spherical cow from my computer:
636303.jpg
upload_2018-9-3_0-24-27.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-3_0-24-27.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-3_0-24-27.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 728
  • 636303.jpg
    636303.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 624
Bandersnatch said:
You can also just copy-and-paste any picture directly into the reply box. Like I just did with your avatar and a random picture of a spherical cow from my computer:
View attachment 230162View attachment 230160

That's true (at least sometimes). You can also drag and drop (sometimes).

It depends on the app of the source and on the kind of device you're using (desktop, tablet, phone, etc.). I've never been clear on when it works and when it doesn't. But it never hurts to try. :cool:

I never thought to try drag and drop, or maybe I did once, long ago, and I've forgotten about it. Let's see what happens with Firefox on Mac OS, desktop... Aha, when I dragged the file over the box, but before releasing it, I saw the message "Drop files here to upload". The result was the same as with the "upload" button, with the usual buttons to insert as thumbnail or full image.

peachoid.jpg

Attachments

• peachoid.jpg
    peachoid.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 668
Likes dlgoff and baldbrain

1. How do I post a picture on a website?

To post a picture on a website, you will need to first have the image saved on your computer. Then, you will need to access the website's content management system or backend where you can upload the image file. Once the image is uploaded, you can insert it into the desired location on your website's page or blog post.

2. Can I post a picture directly from my phone?

Yes, most websites and social media platforms have a mobile app or a mobile-friendly version of their website where you can easily upload and post pictures directly from your phone. Simply follow the same steps as you would on a computer, but instead, use the app or mobile site to access the backend and upload the image.

3. Is there a limit to the size or format of the picture I can post?

Yes, different websites and platforms may have different limits on the size and format of images that can be uploaded. It is best to check the specific guidelines or FAQs of the website you are using to ensure your image meets the requirements. Generally, JPEG or PNG formats and a file size of under 2MB are accepted on most websites.

4. How do I add text or a caption to my posted picture?

To add text or a caption to your posted picture, you will need to use the editing tools provided by the website or platform. These tools can usually be found in the same location where you uploaded the image. Simply click on the image and a text box or caption field should appear where you can type in your desired text.

5. Can I post a picture from someone else's website or social media account?

No, it is important to have the proper permissions and copyrights before using any images from someone else's website or social media account. It is best to use your own images or find royalty-free images to avoid any legal issues. If you do use someone else's image, make sure to properly credit and obtain their permission beforehand.