Designing the Best Potato Launcher: Catapults, Compressed Gas, and Combustion

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for creating a potato launcher, including using a grenade-launcher type adapter, a 12-gauge shotgun, and PVC pipes. The safety and feasibility of these methods are also mentioned.
SirMarksAlot
hello, i was wondering what people here would think the best design type for a potato launcher would be. I looked at catapults, ones that use compressed gas, and combustion. firstly, which would be the easiest to make?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, SirMarksAlot.
My personal approach is something that you probably shouldn't try. I would build a grenade-launcher type adapter that clamps onto the muzzle of a 12-gauge, and use a blank cartridge to launch it. There's a very good chance that the Mentors will delete this, since I don't know if it falls within forum guidelines.

ya, i definitely don't have access to a 12-gauge, or any gun.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, SirMarksAlot.
My personal approach is something that you probably shouldn't try. I would build a grenade-launcher type adapter that clamps onto the muzzle of a 12-gauge, and use a blank cartridge to launch it. There's a very good chance that the Mentors will delete this, since I don't know if it falls within forum guidelines.

Sounds reasonably safe to me, as long as you use a standard adapter and a blank cartridge.

(and people wonder where Danger got his nickname...)

berkeman said:
(and people wonder where Danger got his nickname...)

My only actual use of this system was an inverse version. I built an adaptor that held a 12 gauge shell on the end of a .177 pellet rifle. Pretty big bang for a spring-loaded gun. :devil:

I made one with about $20 in pvc from home depot. Just glue a bunch of pvc together with a screw off back and a wider chamber. Then I used an electric sparker from a lighter which was connected to two screws that were drilled into it until they were very close allowing a spark on the inside. Works great after at least 100 shots. Great fun and a lot of power, so be careful.

1. How do catapults work as potato launchers?

Catapults work by using a lever or arm to launch projectiles, such as potatoes, using tension and release of energy. The arm is pulled back and locked into place, creating tension in the spring or elastic material. When the arm is released, the stored energy is released, propelling the potato forward.

2. What is the best type of compressed gas for a potato launcher?

The best type of compressed gas for a potato launcher is typically compressed air, as it is safe and readily available. CO2 can also be used, but it is important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when handling and storing it.

3. Can a potato launcher using combustion be dangerous?

Yes, a potato launcher using combustion can be dangerous if not built and used properly. Combustion launchers use a chemical reaction to create the energy needed to launch the potato. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use proper materials to prevent accidents.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a potato launcher?

When designing a potato launcher, factors such as safety, power, accuracy, and materials should be considered. It is important to use strong and sturdy materials, consider the angle and force of the launch, and follow safety guidelines to ensure the best design.

5. Can a potato launcher using compressed gas or combustion be used for larger projectiles?

Yes, potato launchers using compressed gas or combustion can be used for larger projectiles, but it is important to adjust the design and materials accordingly. The pressure and force required to launch a larger projectile, such as a watermelon, will be greater than that of a potato, so the design must be able to handle the increased power.