1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potato launcher

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    hello, i was wondering what people here would think the best design type for a potato launcher would be. I looked at catapults, ones that use compressed gas, and combustion. firstly, which would be the easiest to make?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, SirMarksAlot.
    My personal approach is something that you probably shouldn't try. I would build a grenade-launcher type adapter that clamps onto the muzzle of a 12-gauge, and use a blank cartridge to launch it. There's a very good chance that the Mentors will delete this, since I don't know if it falls within forum guidelines.

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    ya, i definately dont have access to a 12-gauge, or any gun.

5. Apr 7, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sounds reasonably safe to me, as long as you use a standard adapter and a blank cartridge.

(and people wonder where Danger got his nickname...)

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5

Danger

Gold Member

My only actual use of this system was an inverse version. I built an adaptor that held a 12 gauge shell on the end of a .177 pellet rifle. Pretty big bang for a spring-loaded gun. :devil:

7. Apr 8, 2009 #6
    I made one with about $20 in pvc from home depot. Just glue a bunch of pvc together with a screw off back and a wider chamber. Then I used an electric sparker from a lighter which was connected to two screws that were drilled into it until they were very close allowing a spark on the inside. Works great after at least 100 shots. Great fun and a lot of power, so be careful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook