1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Energy of a Charge Configuration

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1
    Is there a quick way to figure out the total potential energy between more than 2 charges without having to find the potential at each point and the. Multiplying it by the charge at that point and adding it all up?

For example - a 2D square with a charges Q, 2Q, -3Q, and another Q at each corner and let's say each side of the square has length "d"

I'm basically wondering if there's a way to calculate the total potential energy of this charge configuration without a page and a half of work

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2014 #2

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

There really isn't a "quick" way that I know of. You pretty much have to do a sum when calculating the potential energy. That's just the way it's done.

4. Jul 7, 2014 #3
    Thank you -I figured as much. I just have a professor who typically writes problems that aren't very tedious especially when you understand the concept(s). I saw a problem like this on an old exam and thought the busywork I had to do was a little uncharacteristic of his testing style.

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook