Potential Energy using effective potential

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a potential energy function for a given angular momentum that leads to a spiral path of the form r=r0θk, with total energy E equal to zero. The hint suggests obtaining an expression for r' that is only a function of r, and then using the energy equation with effective potential. The speaker is unsure of how to start and asks for guidance.
derrickb

Homework Statement

For a given angular momentum L, find the potential energy function U(r) that leads to a spiral path of the form r=r0θk. Choose the total energy E to be zero. Hint: obtain an expression for r' that is only a function of r, not θ, and then use the energy equation with effective potential

Homework Equations

E=.5μ(r')2+(L2/2μr2)+U(r)
r=r0θk

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to figure out where to start. I don't want a full solution, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I will try to solve it from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand that I have to solve for r' and then use the energy equation, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Related to Potential Energy using effective potential

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a form of energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a system. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy related to effective potential?

Effective potential is a concept used in physics to describe the potential energy of a system with more than one interacting object. It takes into account the effects of both the individual objects' potential energies and their interactions with each other.

3. What is the formula for calculating potential energy?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height at which the object is located.

4. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This usually occurs when the reference point for measuring potential energy is chosen at a higher point than the object's current position. In such cases, the potential energy is referred to as "negative potential energy."

5. How is potential energy used in real-life applications?

Potential energy is used in various real-life applications, such as in hydroelectric power plants where the potential energy of water stored in a reservoir is converted into kinetic energy to generate electricity. It is also used in roller coasters, where the potential energy of the riders at the top of the coaster is converted into kinetic energy as they move downhill.