Potential from a charge moving at constant velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric potential of a point charge with constant velocity. The equations used are for the intersection of a lightcone into the past from a given point and a particle with constant velocity. The expressions for the potential differ from what is derived in Griffiths, possibly due to ignoring the change of variables for the delta function when evaluating the retarded potential integral.
MisterX

Homework Statement

Find the electric potential of a point charge with constant velocity ##v##.

Homework Equations

$$V(\mathbf{r}, t) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho\left(\mathbf{r}', t - \frac{| \mathbf{r}- \mathbf{r}'| }{c}\right)}{| \mathbf{r}- \mathbf{r}'|}d^3r' $$

The Attempt at a Solution

We look for the intersection of a lightcone into the past from ##\mathbf{r}, \,t## with a particle with constant velocity
$$\mathbf{r}'(t') = \mathbf{v}t'$$
Solving for the intersection
$$t-t' = \frac{\left|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}'(t')\right|}{c} $$
$$t-t' = \frac{\sqrt{r^2 -2\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{r}(t') + (r'(t'))^2}}{c} = \frac{\sqrt{r^2 -2\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v}t' + v^2(t')^2}}{c} $$
$$(c^2 - v^2 )(t')^2 +2(\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} -c^2t)t' + c^2t^2-r^2 = 0$$
$$t' = \frac{-(\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} -c^2t) \pm \sqrt{(\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} - c^2t)^2 - (c^2 -v^2)(c^2t^2-r^2 )}}{(c^2 -v^2)} $$
This agrees with (10.41) in Griffiths. However when I used the retarded potential directly, evaluating ## \left|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}'\right|## where##\mathbf{r}'## is at the retarted time ##t'##. I'd expect
$$V(\mathbf{r}, t) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{q}{\left|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}'(t')\right|} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{q}{c\left(t -t' \right)}$$
$$= \frac{q}{4\pi c\epsilon_0}\frac{(c^2 -v^2)}{t(c^2-v^2)-(\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} -c^2t) + \sqrt{(\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} - c^2t)^2 - (c^2 -v^2)(c^2t^2-r^2 )}} $$
However according to (10.42) in Griffith's we should have
$$V(\mathbf{r}, t) = \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{c}{\sqrt{(c^2t - \mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} )^2 + (c^2-v^2)(r^2 - c^2t^2)}} $$
I do see a way that these expressions are equal. I suppose I ignored the change of variables for the delta function when evaluating the retarded potential intergral. Is that really what I'm missing?
$$\rho\left(\mathbf{x}', t'(\mathbf{x}') - \frac{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|}{c} \right) = q\delta\left(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{v}\left(t'(\mathbf{x}') -\frac{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|}{c}\right)\right) $$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MisterX said:
I suppose I ignored the change of variables for the delta function when evaluating the retarded potential intergral. Is that really what I'm missing?
$$\rho\left(\mathbf{x}', t'(\mathbf{x}') - \frac{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|}{c} \right) = q\delta\left(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{v}\left(t'(\mathbf{x}') -\frac{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|}{c}\right)\right) $$

Yes, you need to account for the fact that the argument of the delta function is a function of ##\mathbf{x}'##. I'm a little confused with how you are using primes in your notation. Shouldn't ##t'(\mathbf{x}')## just be the present time ##t##? And shouldn't the first ##\mathbf{x}## appearing in the delta function be the integration variable ##\mathbf{x}'##?

1. What is the definition of potential from a charge moving at constant velocity?

Potential from a charge moving at constant velocity is the work done per unit charge by an electric field on a charge that is moving at a steady rate in a specific direction.

2. How is potential from a charge moving at constant velocity calculated?

To calculate potential from a charge moving at constant velocity, you can use the equation V = Q / (4πε₀r), where V is the potential, Q is the charge, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance between the charge and the point where potential is being measured.

3. What is the relationship between potential and electric field for a charge moving at constant velocity?

The relationship between potential and electric field for a charge moving at constant velocity is given by the equation E = -dV/dx, where E is the electric field, V is the potential, and x is the distance along the direction of motion of the charge.

4. How does the potential from a charge moving at constant velocity affect other charges in the electric field?

The potential from a charge moving at constant velocity will exert a force on other charges in the electric field, causing them to move and change their potentials accordingly. This is because the potential is a measure of the energy that a charge possesses due to its position in the electric field.

5. Can the potential from a charge moving at constant velocity be negative?

Yes, the potential from a charge moving at constant velocity can be negative. This can occur if the charge is moving towards a region of higher potential or if the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the charge's motion. In this case, the charge would experience a decrease in potential energy, resulting in a negative potential.