1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential from a charge moving at constant velocity

1. Mar 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the electric potential of a point charge with constant velocity ##v##.

2. Relevant equations
    $$V(\mathbf{r}, t) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho\left(\mathbf{r}', t - \frac{| \mathbf{r}- \mathbf{r}'| }{c}\right)}{| \mathbf{r}- \mathbf{r}'|}d^3r' $$

3. The attempt at a solution
    We look for the intersection of a lightcone into the past from ##\mathbf{r}, \,t## with a particle with constant velocity
    $$\mathbf{r}'(t') = \mathbf{v}t'$$
    Solving for the intersection
    $$t-t' = \frac{\left|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}'(t')\right|}{c} $$
    $$t-t' = \frac{\sqrt{r^2 -2\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{r}(t') + (r'(t'))^2}}{c} = \frac{\sqrt{r^2 -2\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v}t' + v^2(t')^2}}{c} $$
    $$(c^2 - v^2 )(t')^2 +2(\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} -c^2t)t' + c^2t^2-r^2 = 0$$
    $$t' = \frac{-(\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} -c^2t) \pm \sqrt{(\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} - c^2t)^2 - (c^2 -v^2)(c^2t^2-r^2 )}}{(c^2 -v^2)} $$
    This agrees with (10.41) in Griffiths. However when I used the retarded potential directly, evaluating ## \left|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}'\right|## where##\mathbf{r}'## is at the retarted time ##t'##. I'd expect
    $$V(\mathbf{r}, t) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{q}{\left|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}'(t')\right|} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{q}{c\left(t -t' \right)}$$
    $$= \frac{q}{4\pi c\epsilon_0}\frac{(c^2 -v^2)}{t(c^2-v^2)-(\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} -c^2t) + \sqrt{(\mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} - c^2t)^2 - (c^2 -v^2)(c^2t^2-r^2 )}} $$
    However according to (10.42) in Griffith's we should have
    $$V(\mathbf{r}, t) = \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{c}{\sqrt{(c^2t - \mathbf{r}\cdot\mathbf{v} )^2 + (c^2-v^2)(r^2 - c^2t^2)}} $$
    I do see a way that these expressions are equal. I suppose I ignored the change of variables for the delta function when evaluating the retarded potential intergral. Is that really what I'm missing?
    $$\rho\left(\mathbf{x}', t'(\mathbf{x}') - \frac{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|}{c} \right) = q\delta\left(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{v}\left(t'(\mathbf{x}') -\frac{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|}{c}\right)\right) $$

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you need to account for the fact that the argument of the delta function is a function of ##\mathbf{x}'##. I'm a little confused with how you are using primes in your notation. Shouldn't ##t'(\mathbf{x}')## just be the present time ##t##? And shouldn't the first ##\mathbf{x}## appearing in the delta function be the integration variable ##\mathbf{x}'##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted