Potential of charged disk for x R

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential for a point on the axis through a charged disk, and for x>>R, the expression simplifies to V=Q/4πε₀x. The misunderstanding in the math arises from not using the binomial approximation in simplifying the expression under the radical.
qamptr
I understand the answer to this part of the problem intuitively but there's definitely something in the math that I'm missing--

Homework Statement

Along the axis through the center of a charged disk, for a point P at a distance x from the center, the potential will be

[tex]\frac{Q}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}R^{2}}\left[\sqrt{R^{2}+x^{2}}-x\right][/tex]

Homework Equations

For x>>R, I'm supposed to understand that this reduces to

[tex]V\approx\frac{Q}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}R^{2}}\left[x\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{R^{2}}{x^2}\right)-x\right]=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said, I understand that this must work out, but I'm misunderstanding something about the math. It seems as though the term under the radical above ought to become just [tex]x^{2}[/tex] for x>>R, and thus inside the brackets x-x=0 and then V=0, which is untrue. Could someone please explain how [tex]\left[\sqrt{R^{2}+x^{2}}-x\right][/tex] becomes [tex]\left[x\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{R^{2}}{x^2}\right)-x\right][/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
qamptr said:
Could someone please explain how [tex]\left[\sqrt{R^{2}+x^{2}}-x\right][/tex] becomes [tex]\left[x\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{R^{2}}{x^2}\right)-x\right][/tex] ?

Bring the x^2 term outside the radical, then apply the general binomial expansion formula for (1+y)^(1/2) = 1 + (1/2)y - ...

Binomial approximation will get you there.

[tex]\sqrt{R^2+x^2}=\sqrt{\frac{R^2 x^2}{x^2}+x^2}[/tex]

Now use the approx
[tex]x \sqrt{\frac{R^2}{x^2}+1}=x(1+\frac{1}{2} \frac{R^2}{x^2})[/tex]

Mindscrape said:
Binomial approximation will get you there.

[tex]\sqrt{R^2+x^2}=\sqrt{\frac{R^2 x^2}{x^2}+x^2}[/tex]

Now use the approx
[tex]x \sqrt{\frac{R^2}{x^2}+1}=x(1+\frac{1}{2} \frac{R^2}{x^2})[/tex]

*thumps forehead* thanks.

1. What is the potential of a charged disk?

The potential of a charged disk is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit charge at a point on the disk's surface. It is affected by the charge and radius of the disk, as well as the distance from the center of the disk.

2. How is the potential of a charged disk calculated?

The potential of a charged disk can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/R, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the disk, and R is the radius of the disk.

3. What is the relationship between the potential and distance from the center of a charged disk?

The potential decreases as the distance from the center of the charged disk increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, leading to a decrease in potential.

4. Can the potential of a charged disk be negative?

Yes, the potential of a charged disk can be negative. This occurs when the disk has a negative charge and the point of measurement is closer to the center of the disk, where the potential is lower.

5. How does increasing the charge or radius of a disk affect its potential?

Increasing the charge or radius of a disk will increase its potential. This is because the potential is directly proportional to the charge and inversely proportional to the radius. As these values increase, the potential will also increase.