Potentiometer question: Finding Slider Position for Voltage Division Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a 10kΩ pot and a 5kΩ load, with an input voltage of 9 volts and an output voltage of 3 volts. The position of the slider on the pot needs to be determined in order to achieve the desired output voltage. By applying Kirchoff's Voltage Law and using the voltage divider rule, it is determined that the slider should be positioned 2/3 of the way down the pot, resulting in a 6kΩ resistance. The conversation also mentions different ways the components could be connected and the struggle to understand Kirchoff's Law.
brenfox

Homework Statement

A circuit shows a 10kΩ Pot with a 5k Ω load. Determine the position of the slider on the pot when the voltage across the 5kΩ load is 3 volts. The input voltage is 9 volts.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Input voltage = 9 volts. Output voltage = 3 volts. Therefore the ratio of the resistance must be 3/9. Which equates to 1/3. So 10Ω/3 = 3.3Ω is the position of the Pot.
Am i on the right track? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If by "output voltage" they mean the voltage at the node between the pot and the load ...

Then the 5k load is taking up 1/3 of the voltage, leaving 2/3 to the pot. So what is the resistance of the pot?

6.6k ohms?

Have you studied voltage dividers?

Or you can just apply the Kirchoff Voltage loop rule.

There are several different ways the components could be connected. Is it one of these?

attachment.php?attachmentid=63809&stc=1&d=13840246056.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 719
Likes 1 person
gneill said:
There are several different ways the components could be connected.

Really creative! I just assumed (d) - though I have seen most of the variations when assisting in the circuits lab.

It is circuit C. The voltage across the 10k pot is 9v. The voltage is 3 volts across the 5k resistor/load. Therefore positioning the slider at a certain point will result in the voltage output to be 3 volts. not sure how to determine this. voltage output = r1/r1+r2 which according to my calculations equals 6 kilohms. I am currently trying to get my head around kirchhoffs law etc. I apologise for my lack of understanding. This is an open university course and i am struggling!

So for circuit (c) the slider is positioned 2/3 of the way down - the 5k load is in parallel with the portion of the pot which is past the slider; that is, they both see 3 volts.

So the upper portion of the pot drops 6 volts. See your result from message #3.

Likes 1 person

Related to Potentiometer question: Finding Slider Position for Voltage Division Circuit

1. What is a potentiometer?

A potentiometer is an electronic component that is used to measure the electrical potential difference between two points. It consists of a resistive element with a sliding contact, which can be moved to vary the resistance and thus the potential difference.

2. How does a potentiometer work?

A potentiometer works by using the principle of voltage division. When a voltage is applied across the resistive element, the sliding contact creates a voltage divider, allowing the measurement of the voltage at the contact point.

3. What are the different types of potentiometers?

There are several types of potentiometers, including linear, logarithmic, and multi-turn. Linear potentiometers have a linear relationship between the position of the sliding contact and the resistance, while logarithmic potentiometers have a logarithmic relationship. Multi-turn potentiometers have multiple turns of the resistive element, allowing for more precise adjustments.

4. What are some applications of potentiometers?

Potentiometers have a wide range of applications, including volume and tone controls in audio equipment, as well as in measurement and control systems. They are also commonly used in industrial and automotive applications for position sensing and feedback.

5. How do I choose the right potentiometer for my project?

The right potentiometer for your project will depend on several factors, such as the required resistance range, power rating, and physical size. It is important to also consider the linearity and temperature coefficient of the potentiometer for accurate measurements. It is best to consult with an electronics expert or refer to the manufacturer's specifications for guidance in choosing the right potentiometer for your project.