1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potentiometer question.

1. Nov 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circuit shows a 10kΩ Pot with a 5k Ω load. Determine the position of the slider on the pot when the voltage across the 5kΩ load is 3 volts. The input voltage is 9 volts.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution Input voltage = 9 volts. Output voltage = 3 volts. Therefore the ratio of the resistance must be 3/9. Which equates to 1/3. So 10Ω/3 = 3.3Ω is the position of the Pot.
    Am i on the right track? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If by "output voltage" they mean the voltage at the node between the pot and the load ...

Then the 5k load is taking up 1/3 of the voltage, leaving 2/3 to the pot. So what is the resistance of the pot?

4. Nov 9, 2013 #3
    6.6k ohms?

5. Nov 9, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you studied voltage dividers?

Or you can just apply the Kirchoff Voltage loop rule.

6. Nov 9, 2013 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

There are several different ways the components could be connected. Is it one of these?

attachment.php?attachmentid=63809&stc=1&d=13840246056.gif

Attached Files:

7. Nov 9, 2013 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really creative! I just assumed (d) - though I have seen most of the variations when assisting in the circuits lab.

8. Nov 9, 2013 #7
    It is circuit C. The voltage across the 10k pot is 9v. The voltage is 3 volts across the 5k resistor/load. Therefore positioning the slider at a certain point will result in the voltage output to be 3 volts. not sure how to determine this. voltage output = r1/r1+r2 which according to my calculations equals 6 kilohms. I am currently trying to get my head around kirchoffs law etc. I apologise for my lack of understanding. This is an open university course and i am struggling!

9. Nov 9, 2013 #8

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So for circuit (c) the slider is positioned 2/3 of the way down - the 5k load is in parallel with the portion of the pot which is past the slider; that is, they both see 3 volts.

So the upper portion of the pot drops 6 volts. See your result from message #3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted