Max Speed for 55kW Motor Lifting 4800kg Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the maximum possible speed of a 4800kg mass being lifted vertically by a 55kW motor. The correct answer is 1.2 m/s and the conversation explains the thought process and intuition behind the solution. It is important to consider what is changing in a problem and to avoid getting sidetracked by unrelated concepts.
Rumplestiltskin

Homework Statement

A 55kW motor is used to lift a 4800kg mass vertically up a mine shaft. What is the maximum possible speed that the mass could move upwards? Give your answer to 2 significant figures.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I correctly answered this as 55000 / (4800 * 9.8) = 1.2 m/s.
But first I went on a tangent rearranging KE = 0.5mv2 for v. Seemed like the most intuitive line of thought. Why was this mistaken? How would I avoid wasting time like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rumplestiltskin said:
But first I went on a tangent rearranging KE = 0.5mv2 for v. Seemed like the most intuitive line of thought. Why was this mistaken? How would I avoid wasting time like that?
It's not going to work because there is no change in KE. The change is in PE.
That's intuitively obvious to me, but I have no magic formula to make it intuitive for you. Trying to analyse my own thought processes on the problem: it's a question about power, and power is the rate of work done; what work is being done?; it's the work in raising the mass against gravity, so it's the rate of change of PE...

Likes Rumplestiltskin
haruspex said:
It's not going to work because there is no change in KE. The change is in PE.
That's intuitively obvious to me, but I have no magic formula to make it intuitive for you. Trying to analyse my own thought processes on the problem: it's a question about power, and power is the rate of work done; what work is being done?; it's the work in raising the mass against gravity, so it's the rate of change of PE...

Why would there need to be a change? If you knew the KE and neglected friction, couldn't you work out the velocity?

+1

For this type of problem you need to decide which is changing, the PE, the KE or both.

Rumplestiltskin said:
Why would there need to be a change? If you knew the KE and neglected friction, couldn't you work out the velocity?
How are you going to know the KE? You are not given KE, it is not changing, so the only way to know it is by knowing the velocity and mass, but the velocity is what you are trying to find.
I think this is the key intuition, that you need to look at what is changing.

haruspex said:
How are you going to know the KE? You are not given KE, it is not changing, so the only way to know it is by knowing the velocity and mass, but the velocity is what you are trying to find.
I think this is the key intuition, that you need to look at what is changing.

Would I be able to find if it were changing?

Last edited:
Rumplestiltskin said:
Would I be able to find if it were changing?
If the KE were changing? In that case the velocity would be changing, so you'd need to specify the question as velocity at some particular stage in proceedings.

haruspex said:
If the KE were changing? In that case the velocity would be changing, so you'd need to specify the question as velocity at some particular stage in proceedings.

Maybe not always; think a rocket burning fuel at constant velocity. But I see your point. I guess the intuition will come with practice.

Rumplestiltskin said:
Maybe not always; think a rocket burning fuel at constant velocity.
But there you are treating the rocket and remaining fuel as the mass. That is not a consistent object, i.e. it is not the same object from one time to another. You would have to include the exhaust fuel, which has quite a different velocity.

The problem statement asks for the maximum velocity. There is only one maximum so the maximum velocity can't be changing. At any other velocity the power won't be 55kW.

1. What is the maximum speed at which a 55kW motor can lift a 4800kg mass?

The maximum speed at which a 55kW motor can lift a 4800kg mass depends on various factors such as the type and efficiency of the motor, the load distribution, and the lifting mechanism. It is best to consult the manufacturer's specifications and perform calculations to determine the maximum speed for a specific scenario.

2. Can a 55kW motor lift a 4800kg mass at a constant speed?

Yes, a 55kW motor can lift a 4800kg mass at a constant speed, but it depends on the motor's torque and the load distribution. If the load is evenly distributed and the motor has sufficient torque, it can maintain a constant speed while lifting the mass. However, if the load distribution is not even, the motor may slow down or struggle to lift the mass at a constant speed.

3. What is the relationship between motor power and lifting speed?

The relationship between motor power and lifting speed is not direct as there are other factors that affect the speed, such as the load distribution and the lifting mechanism. Generally, a higher motor power can generate more torque, allowing it to lift heavier loads or lift at a faster speed. However, other factors also play a role in determining the maximum speed at which a motor can lift a specific mass.

4. How can I increase the lifting speed of a 55kW motor for a 4800kg mass?

To increase the lifting speed of a 55kW motor for a 4800kg mass, you can consider optimizing the motor's torque and load distribution. You can also look into using a more efficient motor or a different lifting mechanism to improve the speed. However, it is essential to ensure that the motor can handle the increased load and speed without compromising safety or damaging the equipment.

5. Is there a maximum speed limit for lifting a 4800kg mass with a 55kW motor?

Yes, there is a maximum speed limit for lifting a 4800kg mass with a 55kW motor. The limit depends on various factors, including the motor's capabilities, load distribution, and safety regulations. It is crucial to consult the manufacturer's specifications and perform calculations to determine the maximum safe speed for a specific scenario.