Power dissipated in a resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the power dissipated in a 6 ohm resistor in a circuit. The conversation suggests combining resistors to determine the equivalent resistance, finding the voltage across it, and using Ohm's law to find the current. It also mentions applying Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to find the voltage across the 6 ohm resistor and confirms the solution.
RedDead
hello

Find the power dissipated in the (6 ohm) resistor.

the circuit is in the attachments

i know that P in the resistor = (i^2)*R
but how can i find the current in that 6 ohm resistor?

thanks

Attachments

• q8823666.jpg
    q8823666.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 861
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about first combining resistors. Reply back to show your work for that. From there, it should be simple to get the I in the 6ohm resistor.

Answer these questions in order and you'll get there.

1.) What is the equivalent resistance of this circuit?
2.) What is the voltage across that equivalent resistance?
3.) What is the current through the right branch of the circuit? (Mr. Ohm will help you here)

Now you're ready to compute the power dissipated in that resistor.

Tom Mattson said:
Answer these questions in order and you'll get there.

1.) What is the equivalent resistance of this circuit?
2.) What is the voltage across that equivalent resistance?
3.) What is the current through the right branch of the circuit? (Mr. Ohm will help you here)

Now you're ready to compute the power dissipated in that resistor.

i got R equivalent = 3.2 ohm
the voltage across R equivalent = 32 volts
I in the right branch = 8 A
am i right?

Ack! You know what, I made the problem a little too simple in my head. You're right about the equivalent resistance and the voltage across it. That means that the voltage across the 16 Ohm resistor is 32V, so there's 2A going through it. So the other 8A goes into the other resistors. You can apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law at this point to get the voltage across the 6 Ohm resistor.

Tom Mattson said:
Ack! You know what, I made the problem a little too simple in my head. You're right about the equivalent resistance and the voltage across it. That means that the voltage across the 16 Ohm resistor is 32V, so there's 2A going through it. So the other 8A goes into the other resistors. You can apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law at this point to get the voltage across the 6 Ohm resistor.

thats exactly what i did ;)
thanks you!

What is power dissipation in a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat when an electric current passes through a resistor. This heat is dissipated into the surrounding environment.

How is power dissipation calculated in a resistor?

The power dissipation in a resistor can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula P = V^2 / R, where V is voltage in volts.

What factors affect the power dissipation in a resistor?

The power dissipation in a resistor is affected by the amount of current flowing through it, the resistance of the resistor, and the ambient temperature of the environment. Higher current and resistance levels result in higher power dissipation, while higher ambient temperatures can decrease the power dissipation.

Why is it important to consider power dissipation in resistors?

It is important to consider power dissipation in resistors because excessive heat can damage the resistor and other components in a circuit. It can also affect the performance and efficiency of the circuit. Therefore, it is crucial to choose resistors with appropriate power ratings to prevent damage and ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.

How can power dissipation in resistors be reduced?

Power dissipation in resistors can be reduced by using resistors with higher power ratings, increasing the surface area of the resistor to dissipate heat more efficiently, using heatsinks, and reducing the current flowing through the resistor. It is also important to consider the ambient temperature and choose resistors with appropriate power ratings for the given environment.