1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power dissipation

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    1. The 10 ohm resistor in the figure is dissipating 40W of power. How much power is the 5ohm resistor dissipating?

knight_Figure_31_52.jpg

2. P = I2*R

3. I = sqrt(P/R) = 2. I then did P = I2R = (4)(5) = 20 which is incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2
    well, I have exactly same problem and I solved only one case:

So, we have 10 ohm and 40 watt.

the Power = V^2/ Ohm then we can calculate the volt on 10 ohm.

The power on 20 ohm then, is // resistor with 10 ohm.

Then they should have same potential difference.

So you can find the power at 20 ohm...

BUt......

I am lost with 5 ohm too... anybody else?

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3
    The current through the 5 ohm resistor is not equal to the current through the 10 ohm resistor, because the current "splits" at the junction where the circuit becomes parallel. Let the current through the 5 ohm resistor be I1, through 10 ohm be I2 and through 20 ohm be I3. Let the junction A be where the circuit first branches off into the 2 parallel circuits. Then, by the junction rule, the current going into junction A must be equal to the sum of the currents out of junction A and into the two parallel resistors.

Junction @ A : I1 = I2 + I3

Since P = I^2 R, we need to find I1 in order to calculate the power dissipated by the 5 ohm resistor. We use the loop rule to find current I3, since we already know I2 = 2 amps. So draw Loop 1 clockwise around the inside of the parallel part of the circuit (containing the 10 ohm and 20 ohm resistors). The sum of the voltage drops (V=IR) across the circuit equals zero. We start at the junction A, and determine the voltage drop across each resistor around the loop.

Loop 1 @ A: -(20 ohm)(I3) + (10 ohm)(I2) = 0

The Loop 1 equation gives I3 = (1/2)I2. Substituting I3 into the junction A equation, with I2 = 2 amps, we get I1 = (3/2)I2 = 3 amps. So the power dissipated by the 5 ohm resistor is P = I^2 R = (3 amps)^2 * (5 ohms) = 45 watts. Feel free to make any corrections.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook