What is the efficiency of the aircraft engines in this scenario?

In summary, the 3.25 * 10^3-kg aircraft takes 12.5 min to reach a cruising altitude of 10.0 km and a speed of 850 km/h. The engines deliver an average of 1500 hp of power during this time. After calculating, the efficiency of the aircraft engines was found to be 48.8%. However, the initial calculation resulted in a 14.6% efficiency, which was incorrect. To solve the problem, the units had to be converted to seconds, meters, meters per second, and watts. It was also necessary to convert the power in hp to watts by using the conversion factor of 1 hp = 746 watts. After checking for any errors
endeavor
A 3.25 * 103-kg aircraft takes 12.5 min to achieve its cruising altitude of 10.0 km and cruising speed of 850 km/h. If the plane's engines deliver, on the average, 1500 hp of power during this time, what is the efficiency of the aircraft engines?

I initially believed the power out would be: (Kinetic energy + Potential energy)/Time

And efficiency would be 1500hp/power out. But after my calculations, I got 14.6% efficiency, when it should be 48.7% efficiency.

What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I calculated 48.8% efficiency.

Did you...

1) Change minutes to seconds?
2) Change km to m?
3) Change km/h to m/s?
4) Convert J to hp? ( 735.498 75 watt = 1hp/s)

You have to do each of those in this problem.

Check your units. Did you convert the power in hp to watts?

1 hp = 746 watts.

Looks like we typed at the same time.

I don't know what I did wrong.
I'm pretty sure I converted everything.
It must have been a calculation error, because I just got the right answer.

1. What is a power efficiency problem?

A power efficiency problem refers to the issue of maximizing the use of energy in a system, device, or process. It occurs when there is a discrepancy between the amount of energy being supplied and the amount of energy being used effectively.

2. What causes power efficiency problems?

Power efficiency problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including outdated technology, poor design, inadequate maintenance, and inefficient energy sources.

3. How do power efficiency problems affect the environment?

Power efficiency problems can have a significant environmental impact, as they result in the wastage of energy and contribute to carbon emissions. This can lead to air and water pollution, climate change, and other negative effects on the environment.

4. What are some solutions to power efficiency problems?

There are several solutions to power efficiency problems, including using energy-efficient technologies, implementing proper maintenance and monitoring processes, and utilizing renewable energy sources. Other solutions may include optimizing energy use through smart grid systems and implementing energy conservation measures.

5. Why is it important to address power efficiency problems?

Addressing power efficiency problems is crucial for several reasons. It can help reduce energy costs, minimize environmental impact, and improve overall system performance. It also promotes sustainability and helps conserve natural resources for future generations.