How Is Power Calculated in a Circuit with Two Batteries and Resistors?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two batteries with different emf values connected to resistors with given resistance values. The power being delivered by one of the batteries is being calculated, but there is confusion about the correct equation to use. The total current flowing through the battery is also being considered.
tomrja

Homework Statement

Two batteries with emf e1 = 20.00 V and emf e2 = 19.00 V and no internal resistance are connected to two resistors with resistance R1 = 2.00 ohm and R2 = 8.00 ohm as shown in the figure.

What is the power being delivered by the battery with e1?

Homework Equations

P=IV and P=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the first two parts of this problem that are not show. Those parts are What is the magnitude of the current through R1? and What is the magnitude of the current through R2? I1=10A and I2=0.125A. I have tried to find the power generated by the battery by finding the change in potential across R1 with the equation V=IR and found that to be 20V. Then, I plugged the 20V into the equation P=IR and used the 10A that I calculated earlier and got an answer of 200W. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• prob19a.gif
    prob19a.gif
    2 KB · Views: 714
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right to me so far as current. And 200W is consumed by R1. But there is power also being consumed by R2. Use P=IV on the battery in the center. There aren't just 10A going through it. What about the current flowing through the right loop? BTW don't double post, ok? Even if you are in a hurry.

tomrja said:
I have done the first two parts of this problem that are not show. Those parts are What is the magnitude of the current through R1? and What is the magnitude of the current through R2? I1=10A and I2=0.125A. I have tried to find the power generated by the battery by finding the change in potential across R1 with the equation V=IR and found that to be 20V. Then, I plugged the 20V into the equation P=IR and used the 10A that I calculated earlier and got an answer of 200W. What am I doing wrong?

P=IR is not a valid equation. How could you plug 20V into it, when it doesn't have a voltage term?

What is the total current flowing through ε1? What direction through ε1 is it flowing (from + to - or from - to +)?

1. How does a battery produce power?

A battery produces power through a chemical reaction that converts stored chemical energy into electrical energy. This process involves the movement of electrons from the negative terminal of the battery to the positive terminal.

2. What factors affect the power output of a battery?

The power output of a battery can be affected by several factors, including the type of battery (e.g. alkaline, lithium-ion), the voltage and current of the battery, the temperature, and the age of the battery.

3. How long does a battery typically last?

The lifespan of a battery depends on its type, usage, and storage conditions. Generally, batteries can last anywhere from a few hours to several years. It is recommended to replace batteries every 1-2 years to maintain optimal performance.

4. Can a battery be recharged?

Not all batteries are rechargeable, but many are. Rechargeable batteries can be reused multiple times by connecting them to a power source, such as a battery charger, that reverses the chemical reaction and restores the battery's energy.

5. Are all batteries safe to use?

While most batteries are safe to use, it is important to handle them properly and follow safety precautions. Some batteries, such as lithium-ion batteries, can pose a fire hazard if damaged or improperly used. Always follow proper disposal methods for used batteries and do not attempt to open or modify them.