Power Homework: Mass & Power Calculation Problem

• Thread starter scytherz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
Your Name]In summary, a physics professor bikes through air at a speed of 36 km/hr, with a cross section of 0.5 m^2. The mass of the air swept out by the professor in one second is 6.45 kg. To find the power required to accelerate this air, the formula P = Fv can be used, where F is the mass of the air and v is the velocity. The correct answer for part b) is 323 W, which can be calculated by multiplying the power required to accelerate one air molecule (64.5 W) by the number of air molecules swept out per second (4.98 x 10^25).
scytherz

Homework Statement

A physics professor bicycles through air at a speed of v= 36 km/hr. The density of Air is 1.29 kg per m^3. the professor has a cross section of 0.5 m^2. assume all of the air the professor swept out is accelerated to v.

a.) What is the mass of the air swept out by the professor in one second? (ans. 6.45 kg)

b.) What is the power to required to accelerate this air? (323 w)

Homework Equations

P= Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

Multiplying the cross section to the velocity 10 m/s(36km/hr) divided by 1 sec , i got 5 m^3.. and then multiplying it to the denisty, i got 6.45 kg.. the correct ans was 6.45 kg... but somehow i got a feeling my solution is flawed... is my solution is correct and also i can't find the correct answer in letter b.. I tried substituting P= Fd/t or P=ma/t and gor 64.5 W, which is wrong... can someone tell me where did i go wrong in finding the power required to accelerate in air...?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution for part a) is correct. The mass of the air swept out by the professor in one second is indeed 6.45 kg.

For part b), you can use the formula P = Fv to find the power required to accelerate the air. In this case, the force (F) would be the mass of the air (6.45 kg) multiplied by the acceleration (v), which is the same as the velocity of the professor (36 km/hr or 10 m/s). So the power required would be 6.45 kg x 10 m/s = 64.5 W.

However, this is the power required to accelerate the air. The question is asking for the power required to accelerate all the air swept out by the professor, which would be the power required multiplied by the number of air molecules swept out per second. This can be calculated by dividing the mass of the air (6.45 kg) by the mass of one air molecule (1.29 x 10^-26 kg), giving a total of 4.98 x 10^25 air molecules swept out per second. Multiplying this by the power required to accelerate one air molecule (64.5 W), we get a total power requirement of 3.23 x 10^27 W, or 323 W as given in the answer.

Hope this helps clarify your solution. Keep up the good work in your studies of physics!

Related to Power Homework: Mass & Power Calculation Problem

1. What is the formula for calculating power?

The formula for calculating power is P = W/t, where P is power in watts, W is work in joules, and t is time in seconds.

2. How do I calculate the mass of an object?

The formula for calculating mass is m = F/a, where m is mass in kilograms, F is force in newtons, and a is acceleration in meters per second squared.

3. Can power and mass be calculated at the same time?

Yes, power and mass can be calculated at the same time as they are related through the formula P = Fv, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity.

4. What units are used for power and mass calculations?

Power is usually measured in watts (W), while mass is measured in kilograms (kg). Other commonly used units include joules (J) for work and newtons (N) for force.

5. How can I use mass and power calculations in real life?

Mass and power calculations are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. They are essential for designing and building machines, understanding how objects move, and predicting the outcomes of physical processes. These calculations are also used in everyday life, such as calculating the power needed for household appliances or determining the force required to lift an object.