Power in 6.0 Ohm Resistor - Circuit Related Q

• Thread starter MD2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the power dissipated in the 6.0 resistor in the circuit can be determined by first solving for the currents using Kirchoff's laws. Then, using the formula P=I^2R, the power can be calculated for each individual resistor. This method can also be applied to circuits with multiple batteries and resistors.
MD2000
Determine the power dissipated in the 6.0 resistor in the circuit shown in the drawing. (R1 = 4.0 , R2 = 6.0 and V1 = 15 V.)

20_67alt.gif

Am I supposed to be using P = V^2/R..is the power flowing through each resistor going to be diff?

Anyone want to help me out where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve this many different ways. First note that the current through the 2ohm and the 1ohm resistor is the same, and that the current through R2 and the 1ohm resistor is the same.

I would first solve for the currents, and then you know that:

[tex]P=IV[/tex]

[tex]V=IR[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]P=I(IR)=I^2R[/tex]

Do you know KVL, KCL?

How exactly can I get the currents for each individual peice?

I know that the total current is going to be V = IR..which equals 2.46..

But how can I solve for individual currents? Since you don't have V..what can you use to get the I?

Last edited:
MD2000 said:
How exactly can I get the currents for each individual peice?

I know that the total current is going to be V = IR..which equals 2.46..

But how can I solve for individual currents? Since you don't have V..what can you use to get the I?
Think Kirchoff's laws, you can use these the calculate the voltage or current at each point in the circuit. :wink:

I have a similar question with multiple batteries and resistors in one big circuit. I have been given two labelled junctions but within one smaller loop, there are two batteries and one resistor...
I don't know where to begin, any advice?

Related to Power in 6.0 Ohm Resistor - Circuit Related Q

1. What is the power dissipation in a 6.0 ohm resistor?

The power dissipation in a resistor can be calculated using the formula P = V^2/R, where V is the voltage across the resistor and R is the resistance. In this case, if the voltage across the resistor is known, the power can be calculated by simply plugging in the value of 6.0 ohms for R.

2. How do I calculate the voltage across a 6.0 ohm resistor?

The voltage across a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. In this case, if the current through the resistor is known, the voltage can be calculated by plugging in the value of 6.0 ohms for R.

3. Can a 6.0 ohm resistor handle high power?

This depends on the power rating of the resistor. The power rating is the maximum amount of power that a resistor can safely handle without overheating or getting damaged. To determine if a 6.0 ohm resistor can handle high power, you will need to know its power rating. If the power dissipation in the resistor exceeds its power rating, then it may not be able to handle high power.

4. How does the power change if I change the resistance of the resistor?

The power dissipation in a resistor is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that if the resistance of the resistor is doubled, the power dissipation will also double. Similarly, if the resistance is halved, the power dissipation will also be halved. However, keep in mind that the power dissipation also depends on the voltage across the resistor, so changing the voltage will also affect the power.

5. What happens to the power if I connect two 6.0 ohm resistors in parallel?

Connecting two resistors in parallel effectively decreases the resistance of the circuit. This means that the power dissipation will increase, as more current will flow through the circuit. However, the power dissipation in each individual resistor will remain the same, as it is determined by the voltage and resistance of each resistor individually. It is important to make sure that the power rating of each resistor is high enough to handle the increased power dissipation in a parallel circuit.