What is the average power if the resistance R is doubled in an AC circuit?

In summary, the average power dissipated by a resistor is 4.0 W. When the resistance R is doubled, the average power becomes 2.0 W. This can be calculated using the equation P_{rms}=\frac{V_{rms}^2}{R} because the applied voltage is assumed to stay the same. Using the equation P_{rms}=I_{rms}^2R would give a different answer because the current would also change with a new resistance.
Coop

Homework Statement

The average power dissipated by a resistor is 4.0 W. What is the average power if the resistance R is doubled?

Homework Equations

[tex]P_{rms}=I_{rms}^2R=I_{rms}V_{rms}=\frac{V_{rms}^2}{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am told the answer is 2.0 W. But here's what I am confused about...it is valid to use all of the power equations above for this problem, correct? Well if I use

[tex]P_{rms}=I_{rms}^2R[/tex] I get the new average power to be 8.0 W.

But if I use the

[tex]P_{rms}=\frac{V_{rms}^2}{R}[/tex] I get the new average power to be 2.0 W.

How do I know which equation to use?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem assumes the applied voltage is the same. You should always assume that unless otherwise stated because most power sources produce constant voltage and variable current (assuming you didn't do something crazy such as a short-circuit). So, when you replace a resistor with a different resistor, the current changes but the applied voltage doesn't, hence the second equation gives the correct answer.

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
The problem assumes the applied voltage is the same. You should always assume that unless otherwise stated because most power sources produce constant voltage and variable current (assuming you didn't do something crazy such as a short-circuit). So, when you replace a resistor with a different resistor, the current changes but the applied voltage doesn't, hence the second equation gives the correct answer.

So I can't use I^2R, because by definition the current would also be a different value for a new R? But we know the voltage will stay the same for a new R, so we can use V^2/R?

I would suggest using the equation that is most appropriate for the given situation. In this case, since the resistance is being doubled in an AC circuit, it is more appropriate to use the equation P_{rms}=\frac{V_{rms}^2}{R}. This equation takes into account the change in resistance and gives a more accurate representation of the average power in the circuit.

It is also important to note that the power equations you have listed are for an AC circuit, where the current and voltage are constantly changing. In an AC circuit, the average power is calculated using the root mean square (rms) values of current and voltage, which take into account the changing values.

In summary, it is important to choose the appropriate equation for the given situation and to use the correct values (such as rms values for an AC circuit) in order to get an accurate result.

Related to What is the average power if the resistance R is doubled in an AC circuit?

What is power in an AC circuit?

Power in an AC circuit is the rate at which energy is transferred or consumed by an electrical device. It is measured in watts (W) and is represented by the symbol P.

How is power calculated in an AC circuit?

Power in an AC circuit can be calculated using the formula P=VIcos(θ), where V is the voltage, I is the current, and θ is the phase angle between the voltage and current.

What is the difference between real and reactive power in an AC circuit?

Real power, also known as active power, is the power that is actually consumed or used by an electrical device. Reactive power, on the other hand, is the power that is stored and released by capacitors and inductors in the circuit. It does not contribute to the actual energy consumption.

Why is power factor important in an AC circuit?

Power factor is a measure of how efficiently electrical power is being used in a circuit. A low power factor means that the circuit is not using the available power effectively, resulting in wasted energy and increased electricity costs. It is important to maintain a high power factor to ensure efficient energy usage.

How can power be improved in an AC circuit?

Power in an AC circuit can be improved by increasing the voltage or current, reducing the resistance, or improving the power factor. This can be achieved through the use of power factor correction devices, such as capacitors, or by balancing the loads in the circuit.