Calculate Horse Power of a Boy Eating Ice

• Thread starter sylwesh98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
However, for the purpose of calculating the power of the boy, only the energy needed to melt the ice (latent heat) is considered. In summary, a boy who can chew 20g of ice in 5 minutes has a power of approximately 0.003 horsepower. This calculation is based on the conversion of energy from calories to joules, and the relation between latent heat and the energy needed to melt ice.
sylwesh98
A boy is able to chew 20g of ice in 5 min. Calculate the power of the boy in horse power.
Solution: Power=Work/time=JML/T
what are those j,M,L
Those values are
J=4.2J/cal
L=80cal/gram
M is its mass
can anyone tell me about those quantities.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The calorie is an older unit of energy, especially used with heat energy. Thre are 4.2 calories in 1 Joule.

I think the question should begin: "A boy can melt 20 g of ice in 5 mins".

i too thought of the same but what about L
I think its latent heat.
But, what is the relation between latent heat and the energy consumed?

Latent heat of fusion is the heat needed to turn ice into water.

A well-considered question/answer probably should also include the heat he adds that brings the water up to body temperature, because that is inevitable.

Thank you

Related to Calculate Horse Power of a Boy Eating Ice

1. What is the formula for calculating horsepower?

The formula for calculating horsepower is: horsepower = (force * distance) / time

2. How do I determine the force of a boy eating ice?

To determine the force, you will need to measure the weight of the ice being eaten by the boy and the speed at which the boy is consuming it. Then, use the formula for horsepower to calculate the force.

3. What is the distance in the horsepower formula?

The distance in the horsepower formula refers to the distance the force is applied over. In the case of a boy eating ice, it would be the distance the ice travels from the plate to the boy's mouth.

4. Can you calculate horsepower for other activities besides eating?

Yes, the horsepower formula can be used for any activity that involves applying a force over a distance in a certain amount of time. For example, you can calculate the horsepower of a car or a person running.

5. How accurate is the calculation of horsepower for a boy eating ice?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken for force, distance, and time. It is also important to note that this calculation is just an estimate and may not reflect the true horsepower of the boy eating ice.