Power over current source and resistor in series

In summary, the conversation is about solving Kotitehtävä 7, which involves calculating the output power of a current source. The attempt made involves calculating the voltage over the RJC part of the circuit, but the individual is stuck on how to solve the problem. Another person suggests using nodal analysis to find the voltage at the central node, which can then be used to find the voltage across the current source.
mkerikss
Problem description:

The problem is Kotitehtävä 7 in the attachement. The idea is to calculate the output power (both P and Q) of the current source.

Attempt:

I know the current through the current source (obviously) and want to calculate the voltage over it to get the power. I have calculated the voltage over the RJC part of the circuit. It is 0,832[itex]\angle-33,69°[/itex] V. The voltage over the resistor and current source is the same, but then I figured that all the voltage will be over the resistor, since the current source doesn't have any impedance. So now I'm stuck. How can I solve this problem?

Attachments

• Piiri 7.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
If you use nodal analysis to find the voltage at the central node, then you can find the voltage across the current source since the drop across the resistor is fixed by the current source.

Thanks, I'll try to do that!

What is power over current source and resistor in series?

Power over current source and resistor in series refers to the arrangement of a current source and a resistor in a circuit where they are connected in a series, meaning the current flowing through one component also flows through the other.

How does power over current source and resistor in series affect the circuit?

The power over current source and resistor in series affects the circuit by determining the amount of current flowing through the circuit and the voltage drop across the resistor. It also determines the power dissipated by the resistor.

What is the formula for calculating power over current source and resistor in series?

The formula for calculating power over current source and resistor in series is P = I^2 * R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. This formula is known as Joule's law.

Why is power over current source and resistor in series important in circuit analysis?

Power over current source and resistor in series is important in circuit analysis because it helps to determine the distribution of power and voltage in a circuit. It also helps to calculate the power dissipated by a resistor, which is crucial in designing and analyzing circuits.

What are some real-life applications of power over current source and resistor in series?

Some real-life applications of power over current source and resistor in series include voltage regulators, battery charging circuits, and LED lighting circuits. This arrangement is also commonly used in electronic devices such as laptops, smartphones, and other portable devices to regulate the flow of current and protect the components from damage due to excessive current.