1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power problem over time using calculus

1. Jan 18, 2015 #1
    A certain load is characterized by an instantaneous power that increases linearly from zero to 1 kW over a 3-hour period. Determine the total energy in (a) kWh and (b) joules.

p(t) = [dw(t)] / dt

W = F p(t)dt T2 is upper limit, T1 is lower limit.

One of my problems is my calculus is super weak at this point, but I am curious if there is a way to solve this problem without calculus for one, and two...if it truly does take calculus, how do I go about doing it. I did take calculus but I lost the majority of my calculus skills over the course of two years.

I first tried using simple geometry and made a triangle, 0-10,800seconds for the x dimension and 0-1kW for the Y dimension. Of course this lead my answer to 10,800Joules. I know this is completely wrong.

I understand the equation of Energy = Watts x Seconds. This is the instant power equation though, so I am unaware of how to do the function of time equation.

The answer for (a) kWh = 1.5kWh. The answer for (b) is 5.4 x 10^6J.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2015 #2
    Ok so I realized the first thing I did wrong was not find the true area of the triangle I made. A = B*H*1/2. When I do this, I actually discovered that I did get the correct Joules value. Something tells me that I should be using calculus to solve this problem though. A = 10800 * 1000W * 1/2 = 5.4 x 10^6J

4. Jan 18, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

For your geometric method, if you want a result in kWh you should put kW on the y-axis and Hours on the x-axis. No need to convert to seconds. That makes the units of the area calculation kW x hr = kWh.

To do it by calculus, first write an expression for the power with respect to time. Here its the equation of a line with the appropriate slope. Again, you can use units of hours for time and kW for power.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted