Calculating Power: How Force and Speed Affect Work

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power in a wind turbine and various approaches to solving the problem. One solution uses the formula F = d(mv)/dt to calculate force, while another solution uses the concept of energy. The experts in the conversation agree that the problem is valid and offer their own solutions using different methods.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=8b0e10b6b264016654fe7227a3da5a31.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Power is given by F.v , but I am not sure how to calculate F in this case .Again 'v' is the speed of the point of application of force F . I also do not understand how force applied on blades is causing work .

Any help is appreciated .

Thanks

Attachments

• power.PNG
    power.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 878
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the equation for kinetic energy?

billy_joule said:
What's the equation for kinetic energy?
I think you meant "expression" of KE . It is ½mv2 . Could you respond to my doubts in the OP ?

Vibhor said:
I think you meant "expression" of KE . It is ½mv2 .
Nope, I meant equation (ie contains an equality)
EK = 1/2mv2
Could you respond to my doubts in the OP ?
Forces aren't really relevant here. Let's look at the definition of power:
P = E/t
We know that the winds energy is EK = 1/2mv2
And that some fixed fraction of that is converted to power.
A bit of algebra and we can see what relationship Power has to wind speed..

Likes PeroK
@haruspex , @Doc Al Could you please share your ideas about doubts raised in OP . I can do this problem from energy concept . Interestingly the solution provided uses force approach .

Vibhor said:
@haruspex , @Doc Al Could you please share your ideas about doubts raised in OP . I can do this problem from energy concept . Interestingly the solution provided uses force approach .

Power is also Energy/second. Personally, I would think of the air as a series of particles impacting the generator. I can't see any reason to think about forces when you're given the facts about energy.

Vibhor said:
Interestingly the solution provided uses force approach .
That seems strange. Doesn't that require making assumptions about how the energy is transferred from wind to turbine? Can you describe the solution in more detail?

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
Can you describe the solution in more detail?

Please see the attached image .

Attachments

• solution1.PNG
    solution1.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 785
Vibhor said:
Please see the attached image .
Maybe I'm missing something, but I see no compelling logic in the F=vdm/dt step. What does dm/dt mean here? What mass is changing? I could understand F=d(mv)/dt, i.e. the rate at which the air loses momentum, and from that you can certainly get the rest of the steps.
As others have posted, this is a circuitous route, given the problem statement.

haruspex said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I see no compelling logic in the F=vdm/dt step. What does dm/dt mean here? What mass is changing? I could understand F=d(mv)/dt, i.e. the rate at which the air loses momentum, and from that you can certainly get the rest of the steps.
As others have posted, this is a circuitous route, given the problem statement.

Ok .

An alternative solution is also provided . Please see the attached image . Do you think this one makes sense ?

Attachments

• solution2.PNG
    solution2.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 413
Vibhor said:
Ok .

An alternative solution is also provided . Please see the attached image . Do you think this one makes sense ?
Yes, that's quite simple and persuasive.

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
Yes, that's quite simple and persuasive.
I agree.

Likes Vibhor
PeroK said:
Power is also Energy/second.

You're mixing a physical quantity with a unit of measure.
You may have energy divided by time, or joules per second.

Doc Al said:
I agree.
I am not sure about the first line .Can we assume particles in wind to be uniformly distributed ?

@Doc Al ,what do you think about the OP ?

Vibhor said:
I am not sure about the first line .Can we assume particles in wind to be uniformly distributed ?
I think that's a reasonable assumption.

Vibhor said:
@Doc Al ,what do you think about the OP ?
I think the problem is fine. The way I'd do it is to track a parcel of air that hits the fan. The volume will be x*A; the rate at which the air hits the fan will be v*A. (A is cross-sectional area.) That should allow you to see that the energy in the parcel is proportional to v2, and the power is proportional to v3.

Likes Vibhor
Doc Al said:
I think the problem is fine.
I meant what I had written in the "The attempt at a solution" :smile: .What do you have to say about issue raised in OP?

Vibhor said:
I meant what I had written in the "The attempt at a solution" :smile: .What do you have to say about issue raised in OP?
Ah, sorry... o0)

Vibhor said:
Power is given by F.v , but I am not sure how to calculate F in this case .Again 'v' is the speed of the point of application of force F . I also do not understand how force applied on blades is causing work .
You can calculate the force by considering the rate of change of momentum of the air as it hits the fan. (That's the approach used in one of the solutions you posted.) The air pushes the blades, making them turn, thus doing work. (They are angled.) That approach should allow you to get the v3 proportionality.

Likes Vibhor
Doc Al said:
(That's the approach used in one of the solutions you posted.)
So , do you agree completely with the official solution posted in #8 ?

Vibhor said:
So , do you agree completely with the official solution posted in #8 ?
It's OK. (Though I prefer the energy approach.)

My version of that force solution would be along these lines:
##F = \frac{d(mv)}{dt} = \frac{d(\rho x A v)}{dt} = \rho A v^2 ##

Again, I am thinking in terms of a voume of air moving at speed v.

Likes Vibhor
Doc Al said:
You can calculate the force by considering the rate of change of momentum of the air as it hits the fan. (That's the approach used in one of the solutions you posted.) The air pushes the blades, making them turn, thus doing work. (They are angled.) That approach should allow you to get the v3 proportionality.

Doc Al said:
It's OK. (Though I prefer the energy approach.)

My version of that force solution would be along these lines:
##F = \frac{d(mv)}{dt} = \frac{d(\rho x A v)}{dt} = \rho A v^2 ##

Again, I am thinking in terms of a voume of air moving at speed v.

Thanks a lot Doc Al :smile:

In the power formula ##P = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{u}##, the velocity ##\vec{u}## is the velocity of the point of application of the force. Wouldn't this be the velocity of a point of the blade? Of course, the speed of a point of the blade depends on the distance from the axis of rotation. So I guess you would need to use some average speed ##\overline{u}## for the points of the blade. Also, the force is probably different for different points of the blade. So, again you would need to use an average ##\overline{F}##. Even if you can argue that ##\overline{F}## is proportional to the square of the wind speed, ##v^2##, you would still need to argue that ##\overline{u}## is proportional to ##v## in order to get the power to be proportional to ##v^3##.

The energy method avoids all this, but does rely on the assumption that the rate at which energy is transferred to the blades is proportional to the rate of flow of kinetic energy of the wind.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
In the power formula ##P = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{u}##, the velocity ##\vec{u}## is the velocity of the point of application of the force. Wouldn't this be the velocity of a point of the blade? Of course, the speed of a point of the blade depends on the distance from the axis of rotation. So I guess you would need to use some average speed ##\overline{u}## for the points of the blade. Also, the force is probably different for different points of the blade. So, again you would need to use an average ##\overline{F}##. Even if you can argue that ##\overline{F}## is proportional to the square of the wind speed, ##v^2##, you would still need to argue that ##\overline{u}## is proportional to ##v## in order to get the power to be proportional to ##v^3##.

TSny said:
The energy method avoids all this, but does rely on the assumption that the rate at which energy is transferred to the blades is proportional to the rate of flow of kinetic energy of the wind.

Why is this an assumption ? Isn't this what is happening Or is it some simplified model ?

Vibhor said:
Why is this an assumption ? Isn't this what is happening Or is it some simplified model ?
Seems to me it's an assumption. The problem statement refers to it as an assumption. Why should the wind transfer a fixed fraction of its energy to the blades (where the fraction is independent of the speed of the wind and the speed of the blades)? Turbulence, etc.

Ok . I misunderstood your point about assumption.

1. How is power proportional to speed?

According to the equation for power (P = work/time), power is directly proportional to speed. This means that as the speed of an object increases, its power output also increases.

2. What is the relationship between power and speed?

The relationship between power and speed is that power is directly proportional to speed. This means that as one increases, the other also increases.

3. Does power always increase with speed?

Not necessarily. While power is generally proportional to speed, there are other factors that can affect power output, such as the mass of the object and the efficiency of the system.

4. How is power affected by changes in speed?

If speed increases, power will also increase. Conversely, if speed decreases, power will decrease as well. This is because of the direct proportional relationship between the two.

5. Can power be calculated using speed?

Yes, power can be calculated using speed as one of the variables in the power equation. However, other factors such as work and time must also be taken into account in order to accurately calculate power.