Power Relative to Time Question

In summary, to solve this problem, we need to use the equations P=dW/dt and work = force * distance. By setting the distance as a variable and using Newton's equations, we can derive a formula relating the work done to the time of the run. Solving for the change in time required for the run will then be possible with the given information.
bmxrider945

Homework Statement

A funny car accelerates from rest through a measured track distance in time 57 s with the engine operating at a constant power 290 kW. If the track crew can increase the engine power by a differential amount 1.0 W, what is the change in the time required for the run?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Go on then, what's your idea of how to do it?

I know that you have to take the integral of the P=dW/dt, but i don't know where to go from there.

Well, you know that power is the rate of doing work. So you can work out how much work has been done in accelerating. Yes?

Now you also know that work = Force * distance.

You don't know what the distance is - but you do know it is the same for both runs so there's a good chance it will cancel - so just call it s.

We also know that s =1/2 * a * t^2 and f = m * a (Newtons equations)
So s=1/2 * f/m * t^2
m and s are constants so f * t^2 must be a constant.

i.e f1 * t1 ^2 = f2 * t2^2 ( calling the force and time for each run 1 and 2)

So if we multiply each side by s, we get
s * f1 * t1^2 = s * f2 * t2^2

but s* f is the work done in each run, so now we have a simple formula relating the work done to the time of the run ... and we know the work done.

I appreciate the help. I still don't understand it. Would it be too much to ask for a step by step solution? Physics is a very hard subject for me.

1. What is the concept of power relative to time?

Power relative to time is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It measures how quickly a certain amount of work or energy is produced or consumed.

2. How is power relative to time calculated?

Power relative to time is calculated by dividing the amount of work or energy by the time it takes to complete that work or transfer that energy. The standard unit for power is watts (W), which is equal to one joule per second.

3. What is the difference between power and energy?

Power and energy are closely related, but they are not the same. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or work is done, while energy is the ability to do work. In other words, power is a measure of how quickly energy is used or produced.

4. How does power relative to time affect everyday life?

Power relative to time plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. For example, the power of a car's engine determines how quickly it can accelerate, and the power of a lightbulb determines how brightly it shines. Power is also a key factor in determining the efficiency of machines and devices.

5. How does power relative to time relate to other scientific concepts?

Power relative to time is closely related to other scientific concepts such as work, energy, and force. Work is the transfer of energy, and power measures how quickly that transfer occurs. Force is also related to power, as it is the agent that causes a change in energy or work. Understanding power relative to time is essential in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and chemistry.