Engine with constant power; Time taken to finish track?

In summary, we are trying to find the change in time required for a funny car to accelerate through a measured track distance when the engine power is increased by a differential amount. We approach this by writing an equation for the time it takes to move a fixed distance with a constant power and then differentiating it with respect to power. However, a mistake is made in the derivative calculation, which is corrected by taking into account the factor of -1. The final answer is \frac{-T}{3P}dP.
Nathanael
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

"A funny car accelerates from rest through a measured track distance in time T with the engine operating at a constant power P. If the track crew can increase the engine power by a differential amount dP, what is the change in the time required for the run?"

2. The attempt at a solution
I'll just think outloud here so you guys can see my thought process and correct any mistakes that way (I'll get into the math after the reasoning)

I figured if I could write an equation for the time it takes to move a fixed distance with a constant power (and constant mass) then I should be able to find the answer by differentiating (the time) with respect to power.

If the power is constant, then the work is linear with respect to time.

My "line of attack" will be to assume the work being linear causes the kinetic energy to be linear (wrt to time).

(Edit: section about friction omitted ... Basically I'm ignoring it by assuming it will be common to both cases)

So, the kinetic energy is increasing linearly w.r.t. time, and so we can write an equation for the velocity as a function of time:
[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2Pt}{m}}[/itex]
Where P is the power (and m is mass, t is time)

If we integrate that from 0 to some time "T" and set it equal to "r" (r is the distance of the track) then we should be able to get an equation for the time as a function of the power. (We also know that the distance at time zero is simply zero so we can just take the antiderivative and set it equal to r at some instant T)
[itex]^{T}_{0}∫v.dt = r = \frac{m}{3P}(\frac{2PT}{m})^{3/2}[/itex]

Solving for T we get:
[itex]T=(\frac{9mr^2}{8P})^{1/3}[/itex]

Then take the derivative of that and you get
[itex]\frac{dT}{dP}=\frac{9^{1/3}r^{2/3}m^{1/3}}{6P^{4/3}}[/itex]

Multiply both sides by dP and plug in the above definition of T and I finally get my answer...

[itex]dT=\frac{TdP}{3P}[/itex]
But... This can't be the correct answer because it implies that an increase in power causes an INCREASE in time... which is counter-intuitive. (The time should decrease.)

Physics news on Phys.org
A least for solving for T you get a T that decreases with P, so there might be something wrong with your derivative...

Likes 1 person
The derivative of ##1 \over P^{1/3}## is?

PS. He showed his work, or it is an error in the textbook.

BvU said:
A least for solving for T you get a T that decreases with P, so there might be something wrong with your derivative...

Ahh yes thank you for pointing that out. That is where I went wrong (I forgot the factor of -1 from the derivative of [itex]p^{-1}[/itex])

So my answer would actually be [itex]\frac{-T}{3P}dP[/itex]

Thank you very much for reading this and paying enough attention to pinpoint my mistake.

verty said:
The derivative of ##1 \over P^{1/3}## is?

It is [itex]\frac{-1}{3P^{4/3}}[/itex]
Whereas I mistakingly calculated it to be [itex]\frac{1}{3P^{4/3}}[/itex]
(Well I didn't actually calculate it by itself, but that's essentially the mistake I made)

verty said:
PS. He showed his work, or it is an error in the textbook.
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but the textbook's solution is [itex]\frac{-T}{3P}dP[/itex]

Related to Engine with constant power; Time taken to finish track?

1. What is an engine with constant power?

An engine with constant power is an engine that is able to maintain a consistent level of power output over a period of time, regardless of the load or external factors.

2. How does an engine with constant power work?

An engine with constant power works by maintaining a steady level of fuel combustion and converting it into mechanical energy to power the vehicle or machine it is attached to.

3. What are the advantages of using an engine with constant power?

The main advantage of using an engine with constant power is that it provides a consistent and reliable power output, which is important for applications that require a steady level of performance.

4. Can an engine with constant power be used for all types of vehicles?

Yes, an engine with constant power can be used for a variety of vehicles, including cars, trucks, trains, and boats. It can also be used for stationary machines such as generators and pumps.

5. How does the time taken to finish a track relate to an engine with constant power?

The time taken to finish a track is affected by various factors, including the speed and power of the engine. An engine with constant power can help maintain a consistent speed and power output, which can contribute to faster track times.