Power Series Differentiation

In summary, Edward is trying to solve the following equation:y'+xy=1-x+x^2He is trying to find A[1-x^2/2+X^4/(4*2!)...] to get the solution to the equation.
rbpl
Consider the power series (n=1 to infinity) [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (x^n)/(n*3^n).
(a) Find the radius of convergence for this series.
(b) For which values of x does the series converge? (include the discussion
of the end points).
(c) If f(x) denotes the sum of the series, find f'(x) as explicitly as possible.

I know how to do parts a and b and for the radius I got 3 and the interval looks like this:
-3≤x<3
But I don't understand the last part (c)
I know that since (n=0 to infinity)f(x)= [tex]\Sigma[/tex] c_n(x-a)^n then (n=1 to infinity)f'(x)=[tex]\Sigma[/tex] n*c_n(x-a)^(n-1)
I was looking thru various materials and first I was thinking about finding the representation for the power series but I was not sure how this would help me here since I don't have a function to begin with just the series. Then I was thinking about differentiating by terms but I didn't know how to incorporate the radius of convergence. Finally I did something that I pretty sure is wrong:
(n=1 to infinity)f'(x)=[tex]\Sigma[/tex] n*c_n(x-a)^(n-1) = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] n*(1/(n*3^n))*(x^(n-1))=(1/(3^n))*(x^(n-1))=(x^n)/(x*3^n) for -3≤x<3
But like I said it doesn't seem correct. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're close. You don't want to rewrite it the way you did, though. You got to here:

[tex]f'(x) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x^{n-1}}{3^n}[/tex]

Now pull out one power of 1/3 so the exponents on the x and the 3 will match, and then adjust the limits of the summation so the exponent is just n instead of n-1. Hopefully, you'll recognize the series and be able to write down the sum in explicit form.

Thank you for the quick response.

So we have that:
f'(x)=(n=1 to infinity)∑ (x^n-1)/(3^n) from this it follows that
f'(x)=(n=0 to infinity)∑ (x^n-1)/(3^n-1)
f'(x)=(n=0 to infinity)∑ (x/3)^(n-1)
f'(x)=(n=1 to infinity)∑ (x/3)^(n)

I got confused with limits of the summation am I correct? When you said "Hopefully, you'll recognize the series and be able to write down the sum in explicit form" are you saying that I should use the interval of convergence i.e. -3≤x<3? I guess I'm not sure how to write it explicitly, I don't know how many terms I should write down (my guess is they have to be between -3 [including -3] and 3).

No, that's not correct at all. If you expand the first line, you get

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x^{n-1}}{3^n} = \frac{1}{3}+\frac{x}{3^2}+\frac{x^2}{3^3}+\cdots[/tex]

If you expand the second line, you get

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^{n-1}}{3^{n-1}} = \frac{3}{x}+1+\frac{x}{3}+\frac{x^2}{3^2}+\cdots[/tex]

Those obviously aren't equal.

Second, you don't use the interval of convergence for anything. If you do the calculation correctly, you should recognize the type of series it is and be able to write down the sum in closed form.

Is this kind of manipulations permissible:
f'(x)=(n=1 to infinity)∑ (x^n-1)/(3^n) from this it follows that
f'(x)=(n=1 to infinity)∑ (x^n-1)/(3^n-1+1)
f'(x)=(n=1 to infinity)∑ (1/3)*((x/3)^(n-1))
f'(x)=(n=0 to infinity)∑ (1/3)*(x/3)^(n)

If it is then I'm not sure if I see anything special here, in other words, I don't know how to proceed to find the closed expression for this.

Last edited:
That's good. The series is of the form

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty ar^n[/tex]

It's a geometric series.

I have the following DE to be solved through series
y'+xy=1-x+x^2

simply I can't find the right solution, which is :
x-1+A[1-x^2/2+X^4/(4*2!)...
Please help!

Edward, you should start a new thread for your problem as it has nothing to do with this thread. Also, the forum policy is that you need to make a reasonable attempt and show your work before you will get any help.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑nk=0 ak(x-c)k, where ak are constants, x is the variable, and c is the center of the series. It can be used to represent a function as an infinite polynomial.

2. How is a power series differentiated?

To differentiate a power series, the derivative of each term is taken, resulting in a new series. This is similar to differentiating a polynomial, where the exponent of each term is decreased by 1 and the coefficient is multiplied by the original exponent.

3. What is the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence for a power series is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series converges. It can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test.

4. Can power series be used to approximate functions?

Yes, power series can be used to approximate functions by truncating the series at a certain term. This is often used in calculus to approximate complicated functions and make calculations easier.

5. What is the relationship between the power series and the original function?

If the power series converges for a certain value of x, then the value of the series at that point will be equal to the value of the original function at that point. This means that the power series can be used to evaluate the original function at any point within the radius of convergence.