Power series expansion of a function of x

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Unassuming
Messages
165
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[Directions to problem]
Show that the function of x gives a power series expansion on some interval centered at the origin. Find the expansion and give its interval of validity.

[tex]\int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I have that, [tex]e^{-t^2} = \sum_0^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n(t^2)^n}{n!}[/tex]

I now am wondering whether I can take the integral of this series as follows,

[tex]\int_0^x \sum_0^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n(t^2)^n}{n!} dt = \sum_0^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n(x^{2n+1})}{n!(2n+1)}[/tex]

Am I allowed to do that and if so, what is the justication?

---

I performed the ratio test on the result and the limit as n approached 0 was 0, and I therefore concluded that the series converges for all x in R.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean "prove the function has a power series" since the integration itself does not directly "give" the power series.

Yes, as long as you are inside the radius of convergence, you can integrate a power series term by term.
 
Also the series expansion of [tex]e^{x}[/tex] is valid for all x