Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Power series expansion of a function of x

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[Directions to problem]
    Show that the function of x gives a power series expansion on some interval centered at the origin. Find the expansion and give its interval of validity.

[tex] \int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have that, [tex]e^{-t^2} = \sum_0^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n(t^2)^n}{n!} [/tex]

I now am wondering whether I can take the integral of this series as follows,

[tex]\int_0^x \sum_0^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n(t^2)^n}{n!} dt = \sum_0^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n(x^{2n+1})}{n!(2n+1)} [/tex]

Am I allowed to do that and if so, what is the justication?

---

I performed the ratio test on the result and the limit as n approached 0 was 0, and I therefore concluded that the series converges for all x in R.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I think you mean "prove the function has a power series" since the integration itself does not directly "give" the power series.

Yes, as long as you are inside the radius of convergence, you can integrate a power series term by term.

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Also the series expansion of [tex]e^{x}[/tex] is valid for all x

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook