Power series involving arctan(x)

In summary, you are trying to solve for the first few coefficients of a power series that represents the function f(x) = 8x*arctan(6x). The first few coefficients are c_2=48, c_4=-576, c_6=\frac{62208}{5}, and the radius of convergence is R=\frac{1}{6}.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

The function f(x) = 8x*arctan(6x) is represented as a power series f(x) = sum from n=0 to infinity of Cn * x^n
Find the first few coefficients in the power series

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I deduced that
8xarctan(6x) = sum from n=0 to infinity of 8(-1)^n * 6^(2n+1) * x^(2n+2) / (2n+1)
but I'm not sure how to go about to get it into the from Cn*x^n
Any help will be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the general form of the power series?
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}c_n (x-a)^n=c_0+c_1(x-a)+c_2(x-a)^2+...+c_n (x-a)^n+...[/tex]
Make an effort to use LaTeX for clearer equations: [tex]f(x) = 8x\arctan(6x)
\\a=0[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes but how do i go about getting what I have into the from Cn * x^n? I have the right series representation but how to I get that to a power series?

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}c_n (x)^n[/itex] is a general form of the power series, but it's not specifically applicable to your function, f(x). Instead of giving you the exact power series to be used, you were given the general form. You are expected to know the appropriate power series to use based on the type of function, f(x). The question does not ask you to represent the function, f(x) in the given power series form -- you are asked to give "the first few coefficients" as your answer to this problem.
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^n(6x)^{2n}48x^2}{2n+1}=48x^2-576x^4+\frac{62208}{5}x^6+...[/tex]
The first few coefficients are: [itex]c_2=48,\,c_4=-576,\,c_6=\frac{62208}{5},\,...[/itex]
The radius of convergence is, [itex]R=\frac{1}{6}[/itex].

Last edited:
Yes that is equivalent to what I have, but that does not answer my question. I need the first few coefficients(Cn), but all I can get up to is a series representation, but it does not match the form of the power series. Perhaps you don't understand my question or I'm not getting what your trying to say.

I was still editing my post #4 when you replied. Refresh the page in your browser to see the edited post.

Well that's a lot simpler than I thought. Thanks

1. What is a power series involving arctan(x)?

A power series involving arctan(x) is an infinite series in the form of ∑(n=0 to ∞) an(x-c)n, where c is a constant and an represents the coefficients. The series involves the inverse tangent function, arctan(x), which is used to approximate the value of the function at any given point within its interval of convergence.

2. What is the interval of convergence for a power series involving arctan(x)?

The interval of convergence for a power series involving arctan(x) is the range of values for which the series converges. This interval is defined as -1 < x ≤ 1, where the series converges for x = -1 and diverges for x = 1. The endpoints of this interval must be checked separately for convergence.

3. How do you find the radius of convergence for a power series involving arctan(x)?

The radius of convergence for a power series involving arctan(x) can be found by using the ratio test. The radius of convergence is equal to the limit as n approaches infinity of |an+1| / |an|. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges. If it is greater than 1, the series diverges. If it is equal to 1, the series may converge or diverge, and further testing is needed.

4. Can a power series involving arctan(x) be used to find the value of arctan(x) for any value of x?

No, a power series involving arctan(x) can only be used to approximate the value of arctan(x) for values within its interval of convergence. If a value of x is outside of this interval, the series will either diverge or give an inaccurate approximation of the true value of arctan(x).

5. How is a power series involving arctan(x) used in real-world applications?

A power series involving arctan(x) can be used in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It can be used to approximate the values of functions involving arctan(x), which can then be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena. For example, it can be used to approximate the trajectory of a projectile or the behavior of a circuit.