Power series representation, I really :-]

In summary, the conversation discusses the power series representation of f(x) = arctan(x/3) and its derivative f'(x). The power series is given by 1/3 * [C + x - (x^3)/27 + (x^5)/135 - (x^7)/945 + ...], with C = 0. The conversation also mentions how to make the Sigma symbol bigger and expresses gratitude for the help provided.
rocomath
[SOLVED] Power series representation, I really need help! :-]

please let me know if i did this correctly

[tex]f(x)=\arctan{(\frac{x}{3})}[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=\frac{\frac{1}{3}}{1-(-\frac{x^2}{3^2})}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int[\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n}}{3^{2n}}]dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int[1-(\frac{x}{3})^{2}+(\frac{x}{3})^{4}-(\frac{x}{3})^{6}+(\frac{x}{3})^{8}+...]dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{3}[C+x-\frac{(\frac{x}{3})^{3}}{3}+\frac{(\frac{x}{3})^{5}}{5}-\frac{(\frac{x}{3})^{7}}{7}+\frac{(\frac{x}{3})^{9}}{9}][/tex]

[tex]C+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}}{3^{2n+1}(2n+1)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's correct! And of course, C=0.

To make Sigma bigger, use \sum instead of \Sigma:

Avodyne said:
Yes, it's correct! And of course, C=0.

To make Sigma bigger, use \sum instead of \Sigma:

NO WAY! woohoo :-] Thanks, I really appreciate it. This concept is really weird to me, but I'm trying my best.

Related to Power series representation, I really :-]

What is a power series representation?

A power series representation is a mathematical expression that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. The terms in a power series are typically monomials of the form ax^n, where a is a coefficient and n is a non-negative integer.

What is the purpose of using a power series representation?

The purpose of using a power series representation is to approximate a function as closely as possible using a finite number of terms. This can be helpful in solving mathematical problems that involve non-polynomial functions, as power series are typically easier to manipulate and work with.

How is a power series representation different from a Taylor series?

A power series representation and a Taylor series are similar in that they both involve an infinite sum of terms. However, a power series can represent any function as an infinite sum of monomials, while a Taylor series specifically represents a function as an infinite sum of its derivatives evaluated at a single point.

How do you determine the convergence of a power series representation?

The convergence of a power series representation can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or root of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

Can any function be represented by a power series?

No, not every function can be represented by a power series. For a power series to exist, the function must be analytic, meaning it can be represented by a convergent Taylor series. Functions that are not analytic, such as step functions or functions with discontinuities, cannot be represented by a power series.