Power Series Representation of a Function when a is a polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a power series representation for the function f(x) = (1+x)/(1-x)^2 and determining the radius of convergence. The attempted solution involved expanding the denominator and converting to a series, but the correct method is to start with the series for 1/(1-x) and use the fact that 1/(1-x)^2 is the derivative of 1/(1-x). The final answer is \sum(2n+1)x^n, which can be obtained by collecting terms and working out the first few terms explicitly to spot a pattern.
AceK
Power Series Representation of a Function when "r" is a polynomial

Homework Statement

Find a power series representation for the function and determine the radius of convergence.
f(x)=[tex]\stackrel{(1+x)}{(1-x)^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

a series converges when |x|<1;
[tex]\stackrel{a}{1-r}[/tex]=[tex]\sum[/tex]a(r)[tex]^{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the power series of [tex]\sum[/tex](1+x)(2x-x^2)[tex]^{n}[/tex] by expanding the denominator of the function and getting it into geometric series form; I then converted it to a series using the above equation. The answer given in my book is [tex]\sum(2n+1)x^{n}[/tex], which seems more correct; also, the radius of convergence is much easier to determine with their answer. How do they arrive at this answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your answer isn't a power series. You'd need to multiply everything out and collect terms so that you end up with each term in the series being a number multiplied by a single power of x.

To find the series of the function in the problem, start with the series for 1/(1-x) and note that 1/(1-x)2 is the derivative of 1/(1-x).

I see. So I reworked the problem by differentiating f(x) with the numerator factored out, and the answer I got was (1+x)*[tex]\Sigma(-nx^{n-1}[/tex]which is equal to [tex]\sum(-nx^{n-1}-nx^{n}[/tex], which is still drastically different to the answer given in the book. Is my answer right but reducible, or have I made a mathematical error?

AceK said:
I see. So I reworked the problem by differentiating f(x) with the numerator factored out
What?
and the answer I got was (1+x)*[tex]\Sigma(-nx^{n-1}[/tex]which is equal to [tex]\sum(-nx^{n-1}-nx^{n}[/tex], which is still drastically different to the answer given in the book. Is my answer right but reducible, or have I made a mathematical error?
You have to collect terms. Try working out the first four or five terms explicitly and see if you can spot a pattern.

Wow, I've got it now. I was making that way more difficult than it needed to be. Thanks so much for your help, you really elucidated the problem for me.

1. What is a power series representation of a function?

A power series representation of a function is a way of expressing a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a power of the independent variable multiplied by a coefficient. It is written in the form of ∑n=0^∞ an(x-a)n, where an represents the coefficient and a represents the center of the series.

2. How is the power series representation related to polynomials?

The power series representation of a function is related to polynomials because when a is a polynomial, the power series reduces to a polynomial. In other words, if a is a polynomial, then the power series representation of the function is essentially a polynomial with infinitely many terms. This allows us to approximate the function with polynomials, making it easier to evaluate and manipulate.

3. What is the significance of using a polynomial as the center of the power series representation?

The polynomial serves as the center of the power series representation because it is the point at which the function is expanded into an infinite sum of powers. By choosing a polynomial as the center, we can approximate the function using polynomials, which are often easier to work with than other types of functions.

4. How do we determine the coefficients in a power series representation when a is a polynomial?

When a is a polynomial, the coefficients in the power series representation can be determined using a special formula called the Taylor series formula. This formula involves taking derivatives of the function at the center point a, and plugging them into the formula to find the coefficients. The more derivatives we take, the more accurate our approximation will be.

5. Can any function be represented using a power series when a is a polynomial?

Not all functions can be represented using a power series when a is a polynomial. The function must have continuous derivatives at the center point a in order for the Taylor series formula to work. If the function does not have continuous derivatives, then the power series representation may not converge or may not accurately represent the function.