Evaluate Definite Integral Using Power Series: 3 Decimal Places

• Thread starter tnutty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation is about using series to approximate the definite integral of xcos(x^2) and evaluating the series at x = 1 to obtain an approximation with 3 decimal places of precision.
tnutty
Use series to approximate the definite integral I. (Give your answer correct to 3 decimal places.)

[tex]\int x*cos(x^2) dx[/tex]

the series I derived was
inf
[tex]\sum (-1)^n * x^4^n^+^1 / 2n![/tex]
n=0

how would I evaluate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Taylor's series is the series for xcos(x^2), although you have the factorial in the denominator wrong - it should be (2n)!, not 2n!. Integrate your series term by term to get a new series. Then evaluate the new series at x = 1 (you won't need to evaluate it at x = 0, since all the terms in your series vanish there). When your partial sums are the same in 3 decimal places, you have your approximation.

I obtained that series by integrating the series of cos(n). * x.

I am not getting what you mean. I did integrate it term by term.

tnutty said:
I obtained that series by integrating the series of cos(n). * x.

I am not getting what you mean. I did integrate it term by term.

Here's where you are:
x*cos(x2) = x - x5/2! + x9/4! - x13/6! + x17/8! -+ ...

So the antiderivative of the above is:
[itex]\int x*cos(x^2) dx [/itex] = x2/2 - x6/(6 *2!) + x10/(10*4!) - x14/(14*6!) + x18/(18*8!) -+ ...

I have omitted the constant of integration on the right side above, and also have omitted the general term.

What you want is
[tex]\int_0^1 x*cos(x^2) dx [/tex]

so what you need to do is to evaluate the antiderivative a few lines up at x = 1. You don't need to evaluate it at x = 0, since all of the terms in the antiderivative are zero when x is zero. The terms up to the 18th power are probably enough to get you three decimal place precision in your answer. If not, include enough terms so that your partial sums are the same in the first three decimal places.

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a specific interval. It is expressed using the integral sign (∫) and has upper and lower limits.

2. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑(n=0 to ∞) cn(x-a)^n, where cn are coefficients, x is a variable, and a is a constant. It is used to represent functions as an infinite sum of simpler terms.

3. How do you evaluate a definite integral using power series?

To evaluate a definite integral using power series, you need to first express the integrand as a power series. Then, you can integrate each term of the series and substitute the upper and lower limits. Finally, you can add up all the terms to get the result.

4. Why is it important to use power series to evaluate definite integrals?

Power series provide a way to represent functions as an infinite sum, which can make it easier to perform calculations and approximations. They are also useful in solving problems involving curves that cannot be expressed using simple algebraic functions.

5. Why is it necessary to round the result to 3 decimal places?

Rounding the result to 3 decimal places is common practice to make the answer more manageable and easier to understand. It also helps to eliminate any potential errors or inaccuracies in the calculation process.